• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great book

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great book

First time I've bothered to post a recommendation, but just finished reading The Looming Tower: Al Qaeda's Road to 9/11 which won the Pulitzer prize last year

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Looming-Towe.../dp/071399973X

and wanted to recommend it to anyone that's interested in reading about how Al Queda came to be, and the thinking behind these nutters, or the inadequacies of the intelligence services prior to it happening.

Absolutely enthralling, enlightening book, told in a straightforward non-impartial way, it just relays the facts as we know them in a highly readable way. Once I picked it up I couldn't put it down. Brilliant.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    First time I've bothered to post a recommendation, but just finished reading The Looming Tower: Al Qaeda's Road to 9/11 which won the Pulitzer prize last year

and wanted to recommend it to anyone that's interested in reading about how Al Queda came to be, and the thinking behind these nutters, or the inadequacies of the intelligence services prior to it happening.

Absolutely enthralling, enlightening book, told in a straightforward non-impartial way, it just relays the facts as we know them in a highly readable way. Once I picked it up I couldn't put it down. Brilliant.
    Doubt it. I imagine to Al-Qaeda this book is very biased.

Comment

Agreed. Read it last year. If you want to understand Islamic fundamentalism this is the one to read.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Doubt it. I imagine to Al-Qaeda this book is very biased.
        Well yes, although it does do a very good job of telling it from how they see the world as well.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Well yes, although it does do a very good job of telling it from how they see the world as well.
          It's hard to say who is really right and wrong in these things and we can't be truly objective. What makes them wrong from my point of view is killing of people, especially innocent ones. But of course this kind of thing happens on both sides.

Comment

It's hard to say who is really right and wrong in these things and we can't be truly objective. What makes them wrong from my point of view is killing of people, especially innocent ones. But of course this kind of thing happens on both sides.
            Er, except that, flawed though the West may be, we don't enforce a particular religion on pain of death, enshrine the idea of women being nothing more than gossipy vaginas, hold backstreet courts to (usually) punish a woman, etc. Other than that, sure, they're lovely!

Comment

It's a hard one to answer, there's nothing controversial in this book in that respect, it doesn't glamorise or justify. It does explain why they think they are justified in killing innocents, and going down the path they've chosen - it even explains how they got to that stage and the problems it's caused them subsequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                Er, except that, flawed though the West may be, we don't enforce a particular religion on pain of death, enshrine the idea of women being nothing more than gossipy vaginas, hold backstreet courts to (usually) punish a woman, etc. Other than that, sure, they're lovely!
                To them that is normal though. I expect we are weird in lots of ways to them too.

Comment

Hmm, sounds like a good read. I've just ploughed through Castles of Steel by Robert Massie, a brilliant book about the Royal Navy in WW1. Next up to bat is Dreadnought, by the same guy.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                    Islams rejection of High Heels will prove to be decisive for the domination of the global economy- see my previous thread Crises - What crises ? to understand this.

Comment

Working...
                    X