• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Property "Tipping Point"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Property "Tipping Point"

First of all, I have no interest in UK property market, don't own one, don't intend to, don't live there. But it seems to me that at a declared 12.4% annual decline we are on the way to a "tipping point".
    I estimate about 35% in real terms to be it.
    What I mean is that at some point all the interest only mortgages, even with 10% deposit will be so under-water that it will make more sense financially to walk away (BTL, 2nd home). And even capital repayments at less than say 5 years old will be the same. At this point the defaults and repos will hit the roof, further reducing house prices............rinse & repeat doom.
    Opinions?
    Bored.

Unlike in the US, in the UK "walking away" from the property does not absolve the mortgaged owner of the legal responsibilty of paying whats owed back to the mortgage provider
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Why this figure of about 30 per cent ?

When the Jap economy tanked after a government bailout - property prices in Tokyo declined 90 per cent in the 90s and have never recovered .

I see no reason that the London property market will not suffer a similar fate.

Unless we all vote for NL of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Unlike in the US, in the UK "walking away" from the property does not absolve the mortgaged owner of the legal responsibilty of paying whats owed back to the mortgage provider
        It does if you go bankrupt at the same time.

Comment

My mum sells repossessed property for banks.

Business is booming, she's taken on 30 staff in the last 6 months.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Buy to let is the biggest problem.

A friend of mine bought a BTL flat last year which he financed with an interest only mortgage which, at present, is not entirely covered by the tenant's rent...
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Business is booming, she's taken on 30 staff in the last 6 months.
              Sweet. I'll take a castle, sea-view, functioning draw-bridge & moat. I got about 10 grand spare. Pm me.
              Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                Buy to let is the biggest problem.

A friend of mine bought a BTL flat last year which he financed with an interest only mortgage which, at present, is not entirely covered by the tenant's rent...
                I blame myself.

I have a 2nd home that I let but it's not a BTL like above rather it's my first home that I just never sold. About 40% LTV
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  Why this figure of about 30 per cent ?

When the Jap economy tanked after a government bailout - property prices in Tokyo declined 90 per cent in the 90s and have never recovered .

I see no reason that the London property market will not suffer a similar fate.

Unless we all vote for NL of course.
                  Well, all NL has to do is devalue the £ at the same rate, then the price won't actually drop at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Why didn't you tell me that before I bought a house? A repo would have done nicely.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X