• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The State Must Die

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The State Must Die

Great article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4863675.ece

".................................The policy of simply suppressing spending without large-scale structural reform has not had a happy history. After an initial flurry of privatisations, the Conservative Government controlled public spending by holding down its growth without changing the scope of the services that the State was offering. At the same time the financial needs of those services grew faster than the resources they were being given. And so by the mid-1990s it was hard to resist the idea that more spending was required.

Thus in 1997 came what might be termed a “correction”. Labour was elected largely because the public was angry at failing services. The new Government soon began to increase public spending faster than the economy was growing. But such a policy is not, of course, sustainable either. You can't increase public spending faster than overall economic growth for very long before you come unstuck. As we now have.

And so we are due for yet another correction. This time, politicians should be determined that there will be - how would Tony Blair have put it - no more “boom and bust” in public spending. This time wishful thinking about waste and macho talk about spending control won't do. This time we have to fundamentally rethink what the State does and how it does it. "

WHS.
    We need some positive destruction. Not just in the UK either. Hope DC reads it.
    Bored.

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    We need some positive destruction. Not just in the UK either. Hope DC reads it.
    Isnt that a tad rich given that the State has now to rescue the wreckage of the Free Market ?

Comment

I couldn't give a flying feck, in a few years money will be worthless.... spuds and turnips will be the new currency.

Embrace the change!
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Totally agree - it's a great article. Sadly I doubt we will see any worthwhile reform. They all talk tough until they are in power, then the Civil Servants obfuscate them until they give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Totally agree - it's a great article. Sadly I doubt we will see any worthwhile reform. They all talk tough until they are in power, then the Civil Servants obfuscate them until they give up.
          don't forget the unions
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
            Great article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4863675.ece

[I]".................................The policy of simply suppressing spending without large-scale structural reform has not had a happy history. After an initial flurry of privatisations, the Conservative Government controlled public spending by holding down its growth without changing the scope of the services that the State was offering.
            Why do you think that is? Do you think that the people want to change the scope of the services that the State offers?

How would you change it? Are you talking about a real change, or do you just think that you personally could save money if you used private health care and paid nothing to the NHS?

I have met few who really want a significant change: mostly people who talk of breaking down the statist system, at the end of the day just want to pay less tax. Actually so do I, but I don't delude myself that it's any more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              don't forget the unions
              why not?.....they're not much use any more......
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

While I don't agree with everything the Libertarian party stand for, they have an interesting view of the nature of government which seems to fit in with what the Times is saying.

linky
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Why do you think that is? Do you think that the people want to change the scope of the services that the State offers?

How would you change it? Are you talking about a real change, or do you just think that you personally could save money if you used private health care and paid nothing to the NHS?

I have met few who really want a significant change: mostly people who talk of breaking down the statist system, at the end of the day just want to pay less tax. Actually so do I, but I don't delude myself that it's any more than that.
                  Yes, it's not simple. I don't have much vested in the British state myself. I am also experienced enough to have realised that there are a lot of complete idiots and wastes of space in the private sector as well, it's not sole provinence of the state.
                  What would I do? Abolish the NHS. Sack every pen-pusher. Make hospitals self-funding entities. Withdraw funding to all non-elected, non-essential advisory boards, quangos. De-centralise power. Re-design the benfits system (probably increase dole but link it to compulsary public works schemes). Cut back on means tested government handouts severely. Standard small-state stuff.
                  Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                    Isnt that a tad rich given that the State has now to rescue the wreckage of the Free Market ?
                    Castro must be laughing.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X