• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corporate Directors a stalking horse for privatized oversight of self-employed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporate Directors a stalking horse for privatized oversight of self-employed?

It may sound crazy, but I have a horrible hunch the EU is gearing up to demand that for self-employed people the private company through which they provide their services must have at least one corporate director which is a public company, a kind of umbrella organisation.

This public company would then be responsible for ensuring PAYE was paid where applicable, and the self-employed person would have to pay them to check this for each contract! So it would be acting as a kind of privatized overseer, on behalf of the Government and of course "on their side" (ensured by suitable financial incentives).

If any contractor reading this is a fan of the EU, don't be surprised if they pull the rug out from under you in due course and your tax doubles. Also, I wouldn't rely on Dave "man with a plan panama" Cameron to help, as he is a raging europhiliac, probably more so than Gordon Brown!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Interesting, OwlHoot.

Let's hope we can add this one to the CUK Myths thread.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

WHS

Comment

OK Enough!!

WTF does WHS mean?

Can someone tell me or shoudl I DMOR or alternatively I can FOAD but I think thats a bit extreme in these circumstances.
        There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
          WTF does WHS mean?

Can someone tell me or shoudl I DMOR or alternatively I can FOAD but I think thats a bit extreme in these circumstances.
          WGAF?

IGMC

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
            Interesting, OwlHoot.

Is that a diplomatic way of saying you think it's a load of hogwash?

I wouldn't dispute there's a good chance it is. Let's hope so anyway!

(But with all these bail outs, Governments will need shedloads more cash, and if more people become self-employed they'll be an increasingly inviting target.)
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
              WTF does WHS mean?

What He Said

Variations:

WSS What She Said

WTS What They Said

Xeno in 'helpful' mode

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Is that a diplomatic way of saying you think it's a load of hogwash?

I wouldn't dispute there's a good chance it is. Let's hope so anyway!

(But with all these bail outs, Governments will need shedloads more cash, and if more people become self-employed they'll be an increasingly inviting target.)

You got me.

Comment

Its a serious point as I have posted elsewhere this week the UK is out of line with most of the EU countries on allowing single person ltd companies etc. So I would enjoy the benefits whilst they last it is only a matter of time, in my opinion, no matter how much anyone protests, before the ability to save tax by paying dividends and offsetting lots of expenses will be taken away completely.

And with all the bailouts going on now and lack of stamp duty transactions the gov is SERIOUSLY short of money, they will look to find it wherever they can without putting up the headline rate of tax.
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                    Its a serious point as I have posted elsewhere this week the UK is out of line with most of the EU countries on allowing single person ltd companies etc.
                    huh?

Having operated in several countries, this is just not true.

In fact the simplest place to operate is Germany, where you don't even have to set up a company, you just send a bill, and you can be a single person company.

By the way you can operate a UK Ltd anywhere in Europe.

There seems to be a lot of myths flying around.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X