• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stangest Job......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stangest Job......

In a world long-a-go, where the nearest you would get to a home computer would be a Sinclair, and the office was dominated by PDP11’s and dumb terminals, I was a mere office temp.

One assignment was sitting in a downstairs office all day, alone with a phone & a typewriter. All day couriers came in and dropped off boxes/letters addresses to various people/company names. Other couriers then came in and picked up said letters/boxes

“ ave yaw get anyfink for me luv’.

I would then hand over what had been delivered for the name they asked for.

At the end of the week I had to list all outstanding items (only time I used the typewriter) and send to a PO box. Monday morning someone would arrive, pick up the outstanding items and sign my timesheet.

I often wonder what was in those boxes……………………..

oh yes, I have also been a chicken plukier, dental nurse and a Chauffeuse.
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Have you considered writing as a profession?

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post

I often wonder what was in those boxes……………………..
      I have spent many weekends wondering the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        I have spent many weekends wondering the same thing.
        You two should get together and compare notes and then you might be able to crack the case!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
          You two should get together and compare notes and then you might be able to crack the case!

Only if she wears her matron outfit.

Comment

Think I am going to add that as my Signature

Just call me Matron.....

Could I have a matron smilie please?
            Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
              Could I have a matron smilie please?
              Hell yeah.

Oh wait, I'm not in charge.

Bugger.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I once had a job in a food factory.

In this factory there were a number of conveyor belts, but the engineers had failed to ensure the food trays would not fall onto the floor when they went from one belt to the next.

My job was to push every tray in the line an inch to ensure they didn't fall on the floor and I did that 12 hours a day, 6 days a week for 4 weeks. I used to alternate finger to amuse myself.

You do a lot of thinking with a job like that.

Comment

Originally posted by M_B View Post
                  I once had a job in a food factory.

In this factory there were a number of conveyor belts, but the engineers had failed to ensure the food trays would not fall onto the floor when they went from one belt to the next.

My job was to push every tray in the line an inch to ensure they didn't fall on the floor and I did that 12 hours a day, 6 days a week for 4 weeks. I used to alternate finger to amuse myself.

You do a lot of thinking with a job like that.
                  to relieve the stress surely?

Comment

I once spent 8 hours a day checking the 'integrity' of the plastic discs that sit atop compact disk spindles. After the first hundred you tend to let them all pass QA.

I've also made womens nail files on a machine called a 'Black Beauty'.

Best of all though was working in a butchers, having to empty the blood drip trays and clean the rancid sausage meat mincing machine ONCE A WEEK. Thats right...

Yum.

Comment

Working...
                    X