• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Optimal pay for new 603L tax codes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimal pay for new 603L tax codes

Okay, so anyone on 543L is now on 603L and can therefore take home an extra £600 pounds salary this year before paying any income tax, correct? But is there a corresponding increase in the National Insurance thresholds, or is all that extra subject to employee's and employer's NI, meaning it's still not worth drawing more than £5435 pay this year?

Originally posted by ittony View Post
    Okay, so anyone on 543L is now on 603L and can therefore take home an extra £600 pounds salary this year before paying any income tax, correct? But is there a corresponding increase in the National Insurance thresholds, or is all that extra subject to employee's and employer's NI, meaning it's still not worth drawing more than £5435 pay this year?
    Now what do you think is likely to have happened to anything that was not announced with great fanfare.....

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/thelibrary/taxes-ni.htm

Comment

Yeah NI hadn't changed. Anything above 5435 is subject to employees and employers NI.

I'm taking the hit, I've got a PAYE incentive from last year to spend anyway.
      Have Fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
        Yeah NI hadn't changed. Anything above 5435 is subject to employees and employers NI.

I'm taking the hit, I've got a PAYE incentive from last year to spend anyway.
        Daft question if I may? What are the benefits of paying the NI? I'm talking about practical benefits not the financial benefits. I've asked the accountants if there are benefits to the State pension for me taking a pay increase and the payment of the NI Contributions, and the answer was effectively no. So what are the additional benefits of paying NI on the extra £600+?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Now that you "only" need 30 years NI record for a full state pension (I thought it was from 2010 but my recent pension forecast showed 30 years was enough) and I have paid NI for 35 years already, I'm not sure I get anything by paying the NI.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
          X