• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What kind of accent do you speak with?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call me a , but I find it fascinating hearing the different kinds of English accents spoken.

For the record I speak with a mild (cultivated English) Australian accent - even some British people think I'm British!

Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Originally posted by beaker View Post
    I speak with a variety of accents all intertwingled in proportions depending on the societal context, the preponderant accent of those around me, and my own mood.

Having started out as a Liverpudlian and then been forced (by the teachers) to speak "proper" at a public school full of Southern ponces (courtesy of the eleven-plus examination - my presence, not theirs) I ended up with a great but unconscious capacity for mimicry.

On the rare (usually funereal) occasions that I return to Liverpool, I soon lapse into a mild Scouse accent. Moments of extreme emotion (like some bastard trying to rob me at knifepoint and suchlike confrontations) will also bring this to the fore.

In the South, I will automatically speak with the most perfect, yet natural, RP you have ever encountered this side of Boris Johnson.

When, some years ago, I had a gig in Cheltenham and stayed in a pub mainly frequented by the normal Gloucestershire-born people of that town, I was quite startled one evening to find myself talking in a Gloucestershire accent without any conscious effort on my part.

These days I normally speak with a weird mixture of RP and East Midlands, with some elements of Liverpudlian thrown into the mix. For example I don't say double-o words such as "book" with a long "oo" (as in Ty-Phoo - "Take a look in the cook book"), but I say words like "grass" and "bath" with a short "a".

Ooh yer bugger me duck, as they say here
    Last edited by NickFitz; 5 October 2008, 03:23.

Comment

I've been told that my accent is more upper English than Welsh. but then again my accent, mode and form alters to comply with the norm for the company that I'm keeping.
      Dealing with clients my vocabulary increases dramatically compared to the norm when working on-site and effing and blinding with the lads.
      I think it is a subconscious need to fit in
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Southern Northerner.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
          Southern Northerner.
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
            Southern Northerner.
            Is that somewhere like Tottenham?
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Kenneth Williams

Comment

Well spoken midlands accent (cries of “contradiction of term” I hear).

Originally came from the North of Birmingham close to Lichfield, so slight Staffordshire accent, and we all had elocution lessons at primary school – hence still say barth instead of bath.

Worked for a long time in the inner city and also black country so had to play down my real accent and play up the brummie/black country (two different accents I may add)

Lived in Shropshire for a while

Now live South of Birmingham which has a more nasal sound (heaven forbid I pick up that side of it)

Anyone’s guess really!
                Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Funny, several people I have just met have taken me for an Australian. Suppose the Oz accent and Sarf Lunden are a bit similar.

I always think I have an immensely cultivated BBC voice myself.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I speak Sarf LOndon.

Jellied eel anyone?

Comment

Working...
                    X