• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time for tin hats in the age of austerity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for tin hats in the age of austerity

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4882519.ece

Hope you're all prepared for a good dose of bench time and/or crappy rates for the next year or two. Hope you've all squirreled away enough nuts to survive the long economic winter that's about to desend upon us. Feel sorry for those shackled by big mortgages, school fees, debts and all those expensive thinggies we commit to during the good times. Never mind, there's always the permie jobs out there - or maybe not.

Originally posted by Turion View Post

Hope you're all prepared for a good dose of bench time and/or crappy rates for the next year or two. Hope you've all squirreled away enough nuts to survive the long economic winter that's about to desend upon us. Feel sorry for those shackled by big mortgages, school fees, debts and all those expensive thinggies we commit to during the good times. Never mind, there's always the permie jobs out there - or maybe not.
    I'll take the crappy rates over dipping into the bench fund...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      I'll take the crappy rates over dipping into the bench fund...
      WHS

And it keeps CV constant.....

(yes I know there are ways round that).

Comment

Crappy rates are better than nothing (to a point!), but even that relies on there being a contract available. In 2002/2003, my rate halved, but due to the bench time, my income fell by 65%. Still had more cash in bank at end of that period due to the fact that I pay myself a modest permie level income and invest the rest.

Comment

I'll just go where the work is or move and live in Africa cheap for a year or two then return.

Comment

Time to do a 'Magrathea'?
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post

As in not post it at all?

Comment

The contract market hasn't (yet) dropped off the proverbial cliff.

In the 2001-2003 downturn most job sectors were OK or recovered quickly, apart from IT where contractors and permies has a bad time. This time round it's holding up well. Of course if we have a general recession/depression then we're all f***ked, but in the meantime believe it if and when it happens.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Oh, deary, deary, dear. And there's me just started a long term, public sector gig.
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I've been offered a 4 year post in Dubai. £100000 pa + free accommodation & food. car, fuel and driver. 4 return flights a year.

Oh! did I mention Tax free

Wifey doesn't want me to go

May have to once the starving homeless hoards start stalking the streets over here
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X