• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Manic Monday Economic News from ATW (tm)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manic Monday Economic News from ATW (tm)

Financial crisis: Germany announces savings guarantee
    A 100 per cent guarantee on all savings is being considered by the Treasury after Germany took the surprise step of announcing a blanket guarantee on private deposits in its banks.

By Robert Winnett and Nick Allen
    Last Updated: 8:42PM BST 05 Oct 2008

The German move, which followed the lead of the Irish government last week, led to suggestions that Alistair Darling, the Chancellor, could effectively be forced to announce a similar guarantee as early as Monday.

Gordon Brown has so far resisted such a move, but Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg said Germany's action made it "completely unavoidable".

"Germany is Europe's economic superpower. Where it leads, others are bound to follow," Mr Clegg said. (AtW's comment: and how come it is not the City that is the economic superpower? )

"Ireland's action last week to guarantee all deposits made a common European approach to deposit guarantees necessary. Germany's decision makes it completely unavoidable."

Treasury officials were last night urgently studying the details of German chancellor Angela Merkel's announcement, as it weighed up whether to follow suit. It came just a day after an EU summit at which Germany, France, the UK and Italy had agreed to co-operate on measures to tackle the financial crisis.

Ireland's earlier move - which was later followed by Greece - had already been widely criticised. Mrs Merkel had been among the critics. However, over the weekend it emerged that Hypo Real Estate, Germany's second biggest commercial property lender, was in trouble after a 35bn euro ($48bn; £27.2bn) rescue plan had collapsed.

Panicked savers in Britain have already moved billions of pounds from high street banks in the last few days into accounts that offer a 100 per cent guarantee amid fears that other banking institutions could be at risk of collapse.

Last week, Mr Brown announced that the limit on savings guarantee limit would be raised from £35,000 to £50,000 in an attempt to reassure savers.

However, the new upper limit still leaves around £500 billion worth of savings in UK banks unprotected. (AtW's comment: first time I see figure showing deposits above £50k and as expected it is HUGE! Just who the heck Gordon was trying to fool saying 97% of depositors are protected so all is good then?) The few financial institutions in Britain that do offer a 100 per cent guarantee on savings have seen a surge in interest in recent weeks.

The nationalised Northern Rock, National Savings and Investments - the Government's savings scheme - and the Post Office offer are among the few to offer this kind of blanket guarantee

Germany's announcement came just hours after the new Business Secretary Peter Mandelson warned against actions which would "distort" Europe's financial system.

"The danger of this crisis is that it may spark a new wave of economic nationalism, with each country looking for its own 'get out of jail free' card. People have to realise that selective or national approaches could lead markets to look to parts of the financial system in a distorted way," Mr Mandelson warned.

Liberal Democrat Treasury spokesman Vince Cable urged savers not to panic, but said that the Government needed to take "some pretty radical steps" to calm people down following the German decision.

Mr Cable said: "The problem about one European country acting in isolation, as Ireland did and as Germany are now doing, is that it has a 'beggar my neighbour' effect on the rest of Europe.

"I thought at this meeting last week they had come to some sort of understanding to stop this happening.

"People shouldn't be panicking. My money is in the Bank of Scotland and that's rather safer than it would be in an Irish bank underwritten by the Irish Government.

"Nonetheless there is panic, there is uncertainty and the Government is going to have to take some pretty radical steps to calm people down."

---

So much for "European unity" eh?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Rest of Europe must follow now.

Though why they dont just nationalize the banks I am not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Rest of Europe must follow now.

Though why they dont just nationalize the banks I am not sure.
        That is the next step - all this is music to Labours Ears - Nationilsation of the private banking sector - the very heart of the former free-market itself - and all the Tories can do is applaud meekly and lament the demise of the free market- this is Grodons get out of jail card - notice that nobody is now blaming NL for the housing collapse - next is nationalisation of the housing market - they are asking for this in the Netherlands at the mo - and NL is the only party for nationalisation, how could you ask the Tories to do that ???

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          (AtW's comment: first time I see figure showing deposits above £50k and as expected it is HUGE! Just who the heck Gordon was trying to fool saying 97% of depositors are protected so all is good then?)
          Yes that 97% protection stuff from NL was rubbish when there is still 500 billion unprotected deposits.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            However, the new upper limit still leaves around £500 billion worth of savings in UK banks unprotected. (AtW's comment: first time I see figure showing deposits above £50k and as expected it is HUGE! Just who the heck Gordon was trying to fool saying 97% of depositors are protected so all is good then?)
            3% of the UK is about 200,000 people. £500bn / £200K = £2.5 million on average. I think that's quite accurate when you consider people like Rowling, Alan Sugar & so on have £hundreds of millions.

He's claiming 97% of PEOPLE, not of total WEALTH.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              3% of the UK is about 200,000 people. £500bn / £200K = £2.5 million on average. I think that's quite accurate when you consider people like Rowling, Alan Sugar & so on have £hundreds of millions.

The millionaire Dimprawn

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Sure he did, and this was the kind of statistics Stalin would be proud of - the problem is that 3% that knew how much more money they got would seriously consider moving them, it is actually those people who hold a lot of money and can move them to another country much easier than small folk who would have to queue etc - that's why Ireland, Greece, Germany gave such guarantee - if Darling won't make his move a lot of cash will be moved out of this country, if anything it make sense to put cash into euros anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X