• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which sander

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which sander

I need to sand down a couple of walls prior to filling/skimming/plastering and eventually painting.

Which sander does the panel recommend for a quick and easy job?
    Needs to have some sort of effective dust collection as well

I AM NOT doing the filling/skimming/plastering myself - I do know my limits
    So no comments on how difficult getting that right can be.
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I need to sand down a couple of walls prior to filling/skimming/plastering and eventually painting.

Which sander does the panel recommend for a quick and easy job?
    Needs to have some sort of effective dust collection as well

I AM NOT doing the filling/skimming/plastering myself - I do know my limits
    So no comments on how difficult getting that right can be.
    You should not need to sand them down if you are filling and skimming. Your plasterer will do all the prep work they need. You just need to get off all the old wall paper and paint.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

yeap as TLG says you dont need to do anything but strip the walls if chunks of wall come off with the paper the plasterer might need to do a bit of bonding, but thats what your paying him for

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        You should not need to sand them down if you are filling and skimming. Your plasterer will do all the prep work they need. You just need to get off all the old wall paper and paint.
        paper is off, 2 layers of old paint is still on... I was going to sand it unless there's a chemical option
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

paper is off, 2 layers of old paint is still on... I was going to sand it unless there's a chemical option
          Have you spoken to the plasterer? He may just need to score the old paintwork to give the plaster something to grip.
          If the paper stuck to the paint the plaster probably will. Get advice from your pro, not a bunch of DIY experts like us.

If you must sand then get an offset orbital jobbie DeWalt do a good one. You want a high powered motor.

Watch out for chemical stripper. Some can't be plastered over for months.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Old paint isn't a problem, they just put watered down PVA glue over the top of it just before plastering.

I've got a high powered DeWalt belt sander that a previous workman left and if you are trying to flatten out bumps in the wall it is the jobby. The dust collection is a waste of space, tape up the door edges, open you windows and prepare for a hell of a lot of dust that will linger for weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              Have you spoken to the plasterer? He may just need to score the old paintwork to give the plaster something to grip.
              If the paper stuck to the paint the plaster probably will. Get advice from your pro, not a bunch of DIY experts like us.

If you must sand then get an offset orbital jobbie DeWalt do a good one. You want a high powered motor.

Watch out for chemical stripper. Some can't be plastered over for months.
              Ta
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Ta
                What roots said is true too. PVA is used. My guy used a weird green stuff with small bits in for the plaster to key to.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  Old paint isn't a problem, they just put watered down PVA glue over the top of it just before plastering.

I've got a high powered DeWalt belt sander that a previous workman left and if you are trying to flatten out bumps in the wall it is the jobby. The dust collection is a waste of space, tape up the door edges, open you windows and prepare for a hell of a lot of dust that will linger for weeks.
                  WHS.

PVA is a gift from God.

If you are putting plasterboard over the wall anyway, then seal current surface with watered-down PVA (1 part PVA:5 Parts water, I think, but instructions on the container). Then, PVA plasterborad on top. I use undiluted PVA for gluing - it's a strong adhesive, as long as it remains dry. Else, get waterproof PVA. Oh, you can get roll-on plaster, too, which I found to be a doddle to use and saved me £100s.
                  Last edited by Bob Dalek; 6 October 2008, 08:32.

Comment

Bosch PEX 400AE + Makita 440 vacuum is dogs danglies for sanding with no dust

HTH
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X