• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To DIY or not to DIY

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To DIY or not to DIY

I’m planning on replacing my front door (currently wooden) with a uPVC door. Should I go for the DIY route, or pay someone to do it for me?

Has anyone attempted to do it themselves, only to wish they had paid? (I’m still talking about doors!!)
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    I’m planning on replacing my front door (currently wooden) with a uPVC door. Should I go for the DIY route, or pay someone to do it for me?

Has anyone attempted to do it themselves, only to wish they had paid? (I’m still talking about doors!!)
    Yes and no.

It isn't a one man job, but if you have a second hand it's not a difficult DIY.

tim

Comment

I thought this was a contractor forum. Have your man replace it with something made of gold. Or a f**k off diamond.

Comment

Why would anyone want a horrible UPVC door? Get a decent wooden one and paint it properly, you'll spend the next 3 years shaving bits off and repainting the edges every time it gets a bit damp but it looks much nicer.

HTH
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Pay someone else to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post

Hanging a door is hard. You'll never do as good a job as a carpenter, and it will take you four times as long (and you'll need assistance too). And as it's your front door, you have to get the job done in one go; you can't just slope off down the pub and finish it the day after...
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Hanging a door is hard. You'll never do as good a job as a carpenter, and it will take you four times as long (and you'll need assistance too). And as it's your front door, you have to get the job done in one go; you can't just slope off down the pub and finish it the day after...
              WHS

Alignment of the frame has to be perfect or you will have nothing but trouble with the door ever after.
              Fixing the frame must also be perfect or it will start to shake loose with use.
              Sealing must be good or it will leak.

Get a professional to fit it or you will regret it.
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

My dad has developed a very good technique over the years for hanging doors they are a very good fit, no catching and no draughts. He's a very keen DIYer, has been for 40+ years and a perfectionist, he might take 10 times longer than a pro but quite often the job is done better and with less mess.

Even so, when it came to getting a new front door even he gets a carpenter in - just to make sure
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  WHS

Alignment of the frame has to be perfect or you will have nothing but trouble with the door ever after.
                  Fixing the frame must also be perfect or it will start to shake loose with use.
                  Sealing must be good or it will leak.

Get a professional to fit it or you will regret it.
                  What They Said. I once had the pleasure (and I'm not being sarcastic, it was fascinating) of seeing two chaps, with about forty years of experience between them, give a presentation on how to hang a door. We were all on a course in Instructional Techniques, and this was their first attempt at constructing and presenting a training programme. It was a ten-minute presentation, and I learnt everything one needs to know about hanging a door.

I also concluded that it is non-trivial. Get an expert.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Even so, when it came to getting a new front door even he gets a carpenter in - just to make sure
                  Again, WHS. By all means make a complete arse of the dining room door (experience is always fun) but not the front door.

Footnote: I once lived in a flat that had a Yale and two mortice locks. When the bad people came to steal my stuff, they just broke the door off at the hinges. They left it propped against the wall in the hall, so it was out of their way. The locks were still locked
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 7 October 2008, 01:35.

Comment

Get a pro to do it.

Rock Door.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X