• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shock! Horror! The Dark Side awaits...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock! Horror! The Dark Side awaits...

In conversation over the weekend with an old friend and contracting veteran of 20 years - fully bought up and active member of PCG, one of the 'contract till I die' crew - and he utters the following:

"It's getting rough out there, I know I've always scoffed at the prospect of going permie, but it's an option I'd consider for a year or so now, given the rocky road ahead"

Stunned. Anyone else considering this right now? Seriously. Not sure I could take the permaculture shock.
    You'd have to catch me alive first - no way in hell. Wouldn't consider it for a second.
    6.67%
    If I didn't take a cut in net earnings? Possibly, but I'd feel sullied and cheap.
    30.00%
    I'm open to the possibility - don't really care where my money comes from.
    20.00%
    I'm already entertaining the idea, or an offer has been made.
    10.00%
    I am your father, Luke - join the Dark Side.
    6.67%
    I would rather lick AndyW's armpits clean.
    26.67%

Originally posted by realityhack View Post

Stunned. Anyone else considering this right now? Seriously. Not sure I could take the permaculture shock.
    Pay cut
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      It's always on my list, which goes like:

1. Look for something similar (within £5ph) to my last contract in the local area
      2. Look for something similar (within £5ph) suitable for weekly commute
      3. Look for anything financially viable (for me, anything over £20ph at home, or £25ph away from home)
      4. Look for local permie work paying enough to live on
      5. Look for any permie work even if I have to relocate

I've never gone to 5, during the last bust i got to 4, stuck it for 4 months until things picked up, reskilled to .Net and took a low paid contract (move up to 3) then moved up until i was at 1 again.

So it's always a possibility, but hopefully I'll never have to go there again.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Lots of contractors applying for permie roles at my client. "The Management" have commented that lots of people are applying for the wrong reasons (i.e. to ride out the storm). The contract market in my line of work is dead as a Dodo in the UK.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          The contract market in my line of work is dead as a Dodo in the UK.
          mine too, and there is really only one pan-european company that has work in europe (germany, scandanavia)..

the other problem is there are no permie jobs around either..
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

An agent told me the other day for the first time he has known they have more applicants than vacancies in the UK, how long this will last is anyones guess.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

An agent told me the other day for the first time he has known they have more applicants than vacancies in the UK, how long this will last is anyones guess.
              Hmmm. If an agent said it, it must be right. Not that he would have an ulterior motive for suggesting that there are too many applicants?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Hmmm. If an agent said it, it must be right. Not that he would have an ulterior motive for suggesting that there are too many applicants?
                There are some honest agents out there (if that's not an Oxy-Moron). however, it doesn't take much research to test if they are telling the truth, unfortunately he is. It's bleak!

Comment

There are some honest agents out there (if that's not an Oxy-Moron). however, it doesn't take much research to test if they are telling the truth, unfortunately he is. It's bleak!
                  I would agree that it is bleak. When I advertised my own position so I could use my ROS I got tons of applicants, most of whom could have done the job with their eyes closed.

Comment

<wilmslow mode (my sincere apologies for this)>
                    I've been given an offer that would mean same basic net income as contracting plus great bonus, benefits etc, and only 1 month notice period.

Brilliant offer really - but if I refuse it's been made clear that my contractor days are numbered (max 3 months) here as they want this role to be permie, with or without me.

Gone out to market but it's shockingly quieter than usual.

Horrible dilemma. Common sense says get another contract if possible, if nothing obvious comes up - take bird in hand rather than risking finding a contract around the end of December. Other people I know (Including contractors) say I'd be mad not to take the offer and ride this (supposedly) rough time out in safety.

Hate the idea of going permie. Really makes my skin crawl. Have been a contractor for the last 9 years - can't remember what being permie is like. Eugh.
                    </wilmslow mode>

Comment

Working...
                    X