• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too Much Praying, Not Enough Action

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Much Praying, Not Enough Action

Saw the BBC News special earlier on about the New Orleans hurricane. Seems to me that we saw a string of people at local, state and federal level all saying that what we really need to do is "pray for the folks in New Orleans". Now I'm all in favour of the power of positive though (even if it is only a placebo style effect), but it strikes me that this God fellow gave us the gifts and intellect that we have to actually get up off our arses and do things, not sit around praying for a mysterious third party to do something about it.

Is an ever more dominant Christian right in the US leading us down a path of inaction? I am reminded of a quote from a US senator saying that we don't need to do anything to protect the environment as the second coming is imminent.

So does excessive use of religion as a prop to cover real world failure lead to physical stagnation?

Feel free to discuss, ignore, abuse Chico and/or Franco, whatever...

Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel first.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel first.
      That makes the camel an easy target for Xog.

Comment

I saw on TV a woman who'd been through hell

All she was saying was things like "Praise the Lord, Thank you little baby Jesus I'm Alive"

Was it not the Lord & Little baby Jesus who caused the problem in the first place?
        Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by wc2

All she was saying was things like "Praise the Lord, Thank you little baby Jesus I'm Alive"

Was it not the Lord & Little baby Jesus who caused the problem in the first place?
          No I did not! Lack of organisation and freak weather patterns caused the problem!
          Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
          You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
            No I did not! Lack of organisation and freak weather patterns caused the problem!
            Son, what have I told you before about lying? You're not too big for a smacked arse. If I find out...

Comment

Originally posted by Jehovah
              Son, what have I told you before about lying? You're not too big for a smacked arse. If I find out...
              It wasn't me! Aw c'mon Dad! Everytime the mortals start whinging it's me that gets it in the neck! It's just not fair!
              Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
              You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by wc2

Give credit were credit is due - Satan is the source of all evil and suffering. No Satan no evil. Case closed. Interesting cut and paste below.

Evil is very real in our culture and in our world. Satan is a fallen angel who uses evil as a weapon against God's creation.

So humble yourselves before God. Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you. -James 4:7 NLT
                Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour. -1 Peter 5:8 NLT

BRIEF OVERVIEW
                SATAN means adversary or accuser in the original Hebrew (Job 1:6-12; Job 2:1-7). In the New Testament Satan in also called by his Greek name Diabolos, or the devil. He is also called "the dragon," "the old serpent" (Rev. 12:9; Rev. 20:2); "the prince of this world" (John 12:31; John 14:30); "the prince of the power of the air" (Ephes. 2:2); "the god of this evil world" (2 Cor. 4:4); " He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God." (Ephes. 2:2).

He tempted Jesus in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11). He is "Beelzebub, the prince of demons" (Matthew 12:24). He is the constant enemy of God, of Christ, of the God's kingdom, of the followers of Christ, and of all truth. He is full of falsehood, and all malice. He is exciting, entertaining and seductive in every possible way. His power is very great in the world. "He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour" (1 Peter 5:8). People "taken captive by him" (2 Tim. 2:26). The Bible warns against his " evil schemes" (2 Cor. 2:11), and we are told to "resist" him (James 4:7). Christ redeems his people from "him that had the power of death, that is, the devil" (Hebrews 2:14). Satan has the "power of death," not as lord, but simply as executioner.

-Adapted from Easton's Bible Dictionary.

TITLES OF SATAN
                • Abaddon. Rev. 9:11
                • Accuser of our brethren. Rev.12:10
                • Adversary. 1 Peter 5:8
                • Angel of the bottomless pit. Rev. 9:11
                • Apollyon. Rev. 9:11
                • Beelzebub. Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:22; Luke 11:15
                • Belial. 2 Cor. 6:15
                • Devil. Matthew 4:1; Luke 4:2; Luke 4:6; Rev. 20:2
                • Enemy. Matthew 13:39
                • Evil spirit. 1 Samuel 16:14
                • Father of lies. John 8:44
                • Gates of hell. Matthew 16:18
                • Great red dragon. Rev. 12:3
                • Liar. John 8:44
                • Lying spirit. 1 Kings 22:22
                • Murderer. John 8:44
                • Old serpent. Rev. 12:9; Rev. 20:2
                • Power of darkness. Col. 1:13
                • Prince of this world. John 12:31; John 14:30; John 16:11
                • The power of the air. Ephes. 2:2
                • Ruler of the darkness of this world. Ephes. 6:12
                • Satan. 1 Chron. 21:1; Job 1:6; John 13:27; Acts 5:3; Acts 26:18; Romans 16:20
                • Serpent. Genesis 3:4; Genesis 3:14; 2 Cor. 11:3
                • Spirit that worketh in the children of disobedience. Ephes. 2:2
                • Tempter. Matthew 4:3; 1 Thes. 3:5
                • God of this world. 2 Cor. 4:4
                • Unclean spirit. Matthew 12:43
                • Wicked one. Matthew 13:19; Matthew 13:38
                Adapted from Nave's Topical Bible.

IMPORTANT BIBLE VERSES ABOUT SATAN
                Satan, the god of this evil world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe, so they are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News that is shining upon them. They don't understand the message we preach about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God. -2 Cor. 4:4 NLT

You used to live just like the rest of the world, full of sin, obeying Satan, the mighty prince of the power of the air. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. -Ephes. 2:2 NLT

Then they will come to their senses and escape from the Devil's trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants. -2 Tim. 2:26 NLT

Because God's children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—Jesus also became flesh and blood by being born in human form. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the Devil, who had the power of death. -Hebrews 2:14 NLT

So humble yourselves before God. Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you. -James 4:7 NLT

Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour. -1 Peter 5:8 NLT

This great dragon—the ancient serpent called the Devil, or Satan, the one deceiving the whole world—was thrown down to the earth with all his angels. -Rev. 12:9 NLT

HollywoodJesus.com
                Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                  [...]
                  So does excessive use of religion as a prop to cover real world failure lead to physical stagnation?

Feel free to discuss, ignore, abuse Chico and/or Franco, whatever...
                  Was reading an anedocte about the Maya population. Apparently, the decline started when a scarcity of food started. The reason why this got worse had to do with the fact that people were forced to pray instead of doing more work on the agriculture. And the more the food scarced, the more they were forced to pray by the governors, provoking a negative loop. Eventually they starved to death and the civilisation collapsed.

p.s. can you remove Franco in that stupid line before I flood the river Wandle and all south west suburbs before Surrey?
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Chico - You really do cut & paste CRAP !! -Not that I read it.

Maybe you could go out there to help.

1. Hit looters with your bibles
                    2. strap bibles to everyones feet so they can walk on water.
                    3. Burn bibles for light/heat & cooking
                    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Working...
                    X