• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat tax seems to be taking off...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat tax seems to be taking off...

However I see the tories plans are just a joke with several different banks depending on what you earn. So why bother with a flat tax if all you are doing is swapping one complicated form of income tax for another complicated form of income tax?

Mailman

Maybe it's just a sap to get the scheme in and then the administration can make it flatter after the second post-election budget? Don't forget, due to years of NL conditioning most people, even those who would end up paying no tax at all, think flat tax is in some way "unfair" by not penalising the wealthy. Both NL and the LibDems would successfully crucify any party presenting a truly flat tax to the mindless electorate we have.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      Maybe it's just a sap to get the scheme in and then the administration can make it flatter after the second post-election budget? .
      So what exactly is the difference between the scheme that we have now with the 10% and 40% bands removed, and flat tax.

What is it that has to fundamentally change first before tax rates can be flattened?

tim

Comment

"What is it that has to fundamentally change first before tax rates can be flattened?",

the Government by any chance ?
        Milan.
        Last edited by milanbenes; 7 September 2005, 10:15.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
          So what exactly is the difference between the scheme that we have now with the 10% and 40% bands removed, and flat tax.

What is it that has to fundamentally change first before tax rates can be flattened?

tim
          Presumably that all allowances, rebates, credits and any taxes other than income, corporation and VAT are abolished. At least it would be a step in the right direction to making the taxation system more transparent, and cheaper 'n' easier to run - which is a good objective in its own right. Maybe when the obvious benefits and saving for this are realised, it will be more politcally acceptable to start flattening the bands (the politically astute Chancellor would start by raising the bottom band up).

Comment

What they really need to do is get rid of National Insurance Contributions as well, so you just have one number to worry about.

Comment

No No No! As I keep saying, in these days of computers, tax should be calculated by complicated equations preferably involving random imaginary numbers.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                No No No! As I keep saying, in these days of computers, tax should be calculated by complicated equations preferably involving random imaginary numbers.
                What, like Duckworth/Lewis?

Comment

The fundamental change is in the thinking of the general public. As stated earlier, Joe Sun reader thinks it is "only fair" that higher earners pay a higher percentage of tax.

Once that idea is banished then you may be able to introduce a flat rate.
                  Put NI into general tax and make all personal income (from whatever source) taxable at say 20%. No allowances or offsets.
                  1 simple easily administered tax. Removes all need for things like IR35.
                  I would also suggest that companies are covered by the same tax law in that any monies "transfered" outside the country are taxed at the same rate so they can not make a huge profit in the UK and then hide it offshore to avoid UK tax.
                  If it is paid out from anywhere it is taxed at the flat rate.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

"What they really need to do is get rid of National Insurance Contributions as well, so you just have one number to worry about"

They will never do that as it will allow everybody to see clearly how much money is being taken off them. Personally if I were employing staff, I would show the employers NI on their wage slip also, just so they can see how much the govt are actually earning on their behalf.

How is your new job going Marc?
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X