• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bring it on!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring it on!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4221296.stm

Further fuel protests threatened

The first prices over £1 a litre have appeared at some forecourts
    Organisers of the 2000 fuel protest, which caused severe disruption when refineries were blocked, say they will act again if fuel tax is not cut.
    Fuel Lobby made the announcement as the price of unleaded petrol rose to more than £1 a litre in parts of the UK as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

The group says all UK refineries will be blocked from 0600 BST on 14 September unless price cuts are made.

The Treasury said cutting tax would not solve the problem of high oil prices.

'Inadvertent rises'

A week-long campaign of picketing refineries and depots by thousands of hauliers and farmers in 2000 caused major shortages and was thought to have cost British business £1bn.

There was panic buying of fuel and even food during the week-long protest.

Facts and figures behind UK petrol price rises

At-a-glance

Fuel Lobby spokesman Andrew Spence said protesters were prepared to recreate that campaign.

"Every time the fuel companies have raised the price of fuel, taxation inadvertently has risen with it.

"If we don't do something now then when does it stop? £1.10? £1.20? £1.30?

"When does the country have to stand up and say, 'look, come on, this is too much Mr Blair'?"

US priority

But a Treasury spokesman said that road fuel duty on the main types of petrol and diesel were lower than they were six years ago.

More than half the fuel used in the UK bears little or no fuel duty at all

Treasury spokesman
    On this day: Fuel protests

"We believe the biggest priority in terms of reducing fuel costs must be working with the American government to restore production levels affected by the Hurricane Katrina disaster," he said.

"We must also maintain pressure on [the oil producers' cartel] Opec to set their oil production at levels consistent with more stable and sustainable prices.

"More than half the fuel used in the UK bears little or no fuel duty at all... so seeking to address the problem of high oil prices through road fuel duty alone would do nothing for the majority of consumers."

Bloody Spin. Who cares that half the fuel used in the UK attracts no duty. It is the half which does attract the duty, which we all use, which is what people are pi55ed off about. If the prices for petrol and diesel were high simply because the oil price was high then fine. If they are high because the government is creaming off a huge whack of tax then that is another thing. 300% fuel tax is too much!

The average price of normal unleaded petrol in Britain went up by more than two pence over the weekend, to 94.6 pence per litre.

The rise came after oil refineries in the US were knocked out by Hurricane Katrina.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Those wide-boys on the futures desks will be making a few quid out of this...
    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
    You know you'll need us!

Comment

You haven't twigged it yet, have you? This is actually about the haulage industry lobbying for a rebate on their fuel duty "to keep them competetive", so we are in effect paying to subsidise their business. It has damn all to do with the private motorists' running costs. All it's going to acheive otherwise is make my life a bloody misery, since I don't llive in the middle of a big city.

Anyway, to use the averages, 12k miles a year, 30 mpg, petrol at 80p per litre, cost £1456, at £1 per litre it's £1820, or an extra £1 a day. Not really that terrible, is it?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
        "More than half the fuel used in the UK bears little or no fuel duty at all... so seeking to address the problem of high oil prices through road fuel duty alone would do nothing for the majority of consumers."
        So an admission that fuel duty has got bugger all to do with saving the environment and all the other excuses then..... Its a punitive tax on the driver.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I assume you'll be happy with the intoduction of IR36 to cover the tax decreases on petrol !?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
            I assume you'll be happy with the intoduction of IR36 to cover the tax decreases on petrol !?
            Behave......
            I would be a lot happier if we got the flat tax system being bandied about.

I believe in a fair and honest tax system where all individuals who are capable of paying should be paying.
            I do not believe that extra taxes should be taken from some individuals to the benefit of all.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Prepare for a not too attractive flat tax rate then, if an article with lots of fancy graphs is to be believed in yesterday's papers then I'd guess you ( and me ) as middle income bracket will have to pay more tax. Its the the top end tax payers on serious money who would pay less. Also the fancy low rates in some countries being bandied about by pro flat rate taxers conveniently didn't include the NI/social security payments for those countries.

Comment

"300% fuel tax is too much!"

If I recall correctly, it is 400%.

"The Treasury said cutting tax would not solve the problem of high oil prices. "

So what? The problem is not high oil prices. It is high petrol and diesel prices.

Comment

I remember £1 a gallon....

People were shocked when it got to £1 a gallon.

Perhaps people should also protest about house prices....

Protesters could go and blockade the the estate agents, and throw rotten eggs at house owners.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's all right for you, threaded. You go back in time with a jerry can and get it for 2/6d.

Comment

Working...
                    X