• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

References after opting out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

References after opting out?

Need some clarification please......I thought that if you opt out that the agent doesnt need to get refernces? Got an email requesting references covering the past 3 years shortly after the interview and saying that i would like to take the gig. I didnt respond and then got another request when when when my contract com through?

DO i need to provide them, got nothing to hide just wondering if he wants them as leads?

Originally posted by LEX200 View Post
    Need some clarification please......I thought that if you opt out that the agent doesnt need to get refernces? Got an email requesting references covering the past 3 years shortly after the interview and saying that i would like to take the gig. I didnt respond and then got another request when when when my contract com through?

DO i need to provide them, got nothing to hide just wondering if he wants them as leads?
    Yes he probably does, but opting out has nothing to do with references.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Ahh, sorry thought id read that opting out meant they didnt have to check references.....

Comment

Ahh, sorry thought id read that opting out meant they didnt have to check references.....
        The law requires them to be sure of your identity, experience and qualifications. This actually does not require a reference check, but most insist on it as it is the easiest for them and gets a few leads.
        By opting out they no longer need to have proof of the above.
        This does not mean that the client does not want to see references before signing the contract. If that is the case send your refs direct to the client.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Well they don't legally have to, if you opt out, but opting out has more to do with not holding the agency to the same rights that cover low paid temporary staff about sick pay, holiday pay etc.

Agencies will still want and need (depending on the client) to check that you have actually worked places to verify your CV is truthful. In addition, references are valuable as leads for them. It's nice to give them a couple when they get you a good gig.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I just totally ignore it and it seems to work. If they ask say you are sorting it out. They'll soon lose interest.

Comment

That's exactly correct, by opting out the agent doesn't LEGALLY need to check your details (which he will interpret as getting references) becasue there is a law that says that he must.

But he will still have to CONTRACTUALLY check your references, if that is what the contract with his client asks for.

tim

Comment

Thanks mate, have ignored it for now but if he insists that it is for the client i will give them directly to them

Comment

Thanks mate, have ignored it for now but if he insists that it is for the client i will give them directly to them
                  Give your previous agent's name and phone number. They like that.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                  X