• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Classic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic

From the Telegraph:

An everyday story of tax-paying, settled folk
    By Nick Britten
    (Filed: 07/09/2005)

An MP has asked for £48,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to make a film about "the settled community" after it gave a similar grant to producers of a film on gipsy culture to be shown in schools.

David Davies said the "interesting, vital and culturally relevant" film would redress the balance and inform travellers of the "ancient traditions and communal practices of another group of people called settled folk".

In a barely veiled swipe at travellers, he said the film would feature the "ancient code" of planning regulations, the "time-honoured custom of clearing one's own rubbish" and the annual tradition of people buying a "cardboard circle" from the post office, "known as a tax disc".

Last month the Heritage Lottery Fund agreed a grant to Hampshire county council aimed at giving schoolchildren a greater understanding of gipsy and traveller culture and lifestyle.

A learning pack and DVD, to be sent to 540 junior and senior schools, will concentrate on the traditions and heritage of gipsies and will not touch on the sensitive issue of the problems some communities face from travellers.

The project, called The Living Album, will also feature a touring exhibition and include a website. The scheme resulted from a suggestion by a gipsy artist, whose work had been on show in the county.

However it has incensed Mr Davies, Conservative MP for Monmouth. In his application to the Lottery Heritage Fund, he wrote: "Following on from the £48,000 you gave for the production of a video aimed at giving schoolchildren a greater understanding of the culture and traditions of 'gipsy travellers', I am very keen to commission an equally 'useful' and 'informative' piece of film that will serve to educate said 'gipsy travellers' on some of those who we might call 'settled folk'.

"I use the term to describe that large group of people in Britain who opt to live their lives in houses or flats. Although large in number, 'settled folk' often face prejudice and misunderstanding from gipsy travellers when they come into contact with them.

"I should like my film to focus on such issues as the importance which the 'settled community' place on property rights, their rigid adherence to an ancient code which they refer to as 'planning regulations', and the time-honoured custom of clearing up one's rubbish.

"Should time allow we could also include a section about the cardboard circle which settled folk purchase annually from post offices and use to adorn their vehicles - known as a tax disc.

"The film could then be distributed to traveller sites across the country to give travellers an insight into the customs of the settled community. I am sure you will agree that this film will be as worthwhile and relevant as the one currently being made in Hampshire."

Mr Davies said yesterday: "On the surface it is a perfectly polite letter and there is a serious point to all this. On the basis that I might just not be successful in my application, I would still like the Heritage Lottery people to have a think about their double standards.

"They seem to think that what they call the settled community are always prejudiced against gipsy travellers, and that gipsy travellers can do no wrong.

"We have as much right as any community to say that we want to make a film about people who live in houses to show to gipsy travellers and make them more aware of our needs and traditions. I want these people to start thinking about the double standards they impose when they throw large sums of money around to all sorts of minority groups."

He said travellers in his community had caused problems, including "flagging down motorists on a dual carriageway and offering to sell them second-hand generators". He added: "Perhaps I am also displaying my own prejudices but I suspect the generators hadn't been sourced to the local cash and carry."

Mr Davies said a local farmer had been forced to go to court to evict travellers from his field, and a local pub landlord accused gipsies who had set up camp next to his pub of theft.

He added: "There are probably many gipsy travellers who lead law-abiding lives. But there are others who don't.

"The Gypsy Council does not seem to be very interested in addressing the fact that a significant number of their people behave in an anti-social fashion. I'm not suggesting that all gipsy travellers are all bad, and that we are all good. People in bungalows and houses act in an anti-social way. But the reason that there is a negative feeling about gipsy travellers is because of the behaviour they sometimes exhibit."

His letter has angered officials at Hampshire county council and the Heritage Lottery Fund.

A spokesman for the lottery fund said that out of 16,000 projects it supported, only 11 had focused on the travelling community.

He added: "It is nonsense to suggest that there is any kind of prejudice against settled communities in our grant giving - we simply reflect the vast range of heritage in the UK."

A source at Hampshire council, which houses the National Association of Gypsy and Traveller Officers, said: "He may be trying to add to the debate but his language is somewhat inflammatory and does not add to anything."

The Gypsy Council was unavailable for comment.
    Chico, what time is it?

Mr Davies is a racist and would do well to remember that gypsies are decent, hard working folk, just trying to make ends meet in the face of unfounded prejudice. Not enough public money is spent on such projects. We should all go home and wring our hands, for no white ever had a greater burden.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

I wonder how many "gypsies" there'd be if they all had to pay council tax, national insurance, income tax, VAT, utility charges, TV licences, Vehicle excise duty, retail diesel, gun licenses and finally pay for the things they use.

Fallen ill? Paid any council tax or NI? No? Well **** off pikey...
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
        I wonder how many "gypsies" there'd be if they all had to pay council tax, national insurance, income tax, VAT, utility charges, TV licences, Vehicle excise duty, retail diesel, gun licenses and finally pay for the things they use.

Fallen ill? Paid any council tax or NI? No? Well **** off pikey...
        That's hardly fair, not to mention restricting the cultural diversity of the peoples within our Green and Pleasant Land.

BTW, these Pikeys, are they Christians? If not we could always "Unleash Chico"...
        Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
        You know you'll need us!

Comment

Burn them.

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
            Burn them.
            Tut, just think about the emissions!!!

We could always bury them alive and store the carbon for future generations to dispose of.
            You know you'll need us!

Comment

Now, now people. I don't see much evidence of hand wringing going on. We must all braid our hair and teach our children how lesbians saved the country fox.
              Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

I knew a lesbian once, and she was a fox! Mind you that Mary Magdelene, she swung both ways if you had the cash!
                You know you'll need us!

Comment

Hey now

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
                  I knew a lesbian once, and she was a fox! Mind you that Mary Magdelene, she swung both ways if you had the cash!
                  That's no way to talk about your wife.
                  Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                    That's no way to talk about your wife.
                    You have been reading too many fairy stories!

Now, if you mean "wife" in the biblical sense, yeah, we had a bit of a fling, but circumstances got in the way of us making it official...
                    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Working...
                    X