• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selftrade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selftrade

I have been trying to open a self-select shares ISA - this has nothing to do with current market conditions, I have used my cash limit so I want to do the rest. Self trade sent me a welcome letter with an address verification code - I entered that successfully, but now every time I log on, it warns me my account will be frozen I I don't send them a bank statement within n days - this wasn't mentioned in the welcome letter. Meanwhile every time I try to credit my account from a debit card I get an error telling me to call customer services.

I have sent a secure message asking wtf is going on - but had no reply. I am considering giving up and going to Fidelity where I already hold a Shares ISA - is there any compelling reason to use Selftrade - they seem rubbish so far?

Their systems are up and down like a brides nighty.

Not been very reliable, but you do get to be able to trade a lot of different asset types.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 7 October 2008, 12:37.

Comment

It is proberbly to do with 'know your customer' aka money laundering rules.

You'll get the same from any broker. If they don't do it then they may be the ones that are going broke!
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        It is proberbly to do with 'know your customer' aka money laundering rules.

You'll get the same from any broker. If they don't do it then they may be the ones that are going broke!
        I don't mind them jumping through the stupid hoops of tulipe the government creates to make it look as if they are doing things - as long as they explain what is going on. The bank statement thing came out of the blue with no explanation - it doesn't say which statement, how much of it, when from, or where to send it which is the bit I have a problem with - also wtf is the point of an online account that just keeps telling you to use the phone?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          I don't mind them jumping through the stupid hoops of tulipe the government creates to make it look as if they are doing things - as long as they explain what is going on. The bank statement thing came out of the blue with no explanation - it doesn't say which statement, how much of it, when from, or where to send it which is the bit I have a problem with - also wtf is the point of an online account that just keeps telling you to use the phone?
          'coz you ain't sent them the statement !!!!
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            'coz you ain't sent them the statement !!!!
            yeah thanks - they didn't ask for it - they just keep moaning about not having had something they:

a)didn't ask for
            b)haven't said where/how to send

Comment

I prefer Hoodless Brennan to self trade, but yeah you still have to comply with the money laundering regs, but it is only £8 a trade.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                I prefer Hoodless Brennan to self trade, but yeah you still have to comply with the money laundering regs, but it is only £8 a trade.
                Just to be clear - I'm not moaning about the laundering regs - I know they are not the fault of the institutions and though pointless and time wasting they are pretty much the same anywhere - I'd be happy to send Self-Trade my details if they could be rrsed to say what they need and where to send it, which they haven't.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll take a look and give up selftrade as a bad job.

Comment

Had to send in a bank statement and my original driving licence, I would have got away with a certified copy, but I was in the middle of changing my bean counter so it would have taken a couple of weeks.
                  "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Just tried to phone Selftrade "all our operators are busy" - I give up - I'll cancel my account.

Comment

Working...
                    X