• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time for a holiday in Iceland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a holiday in Iceland?

I've heard Iceland is an amazing place to visit, but very expensive. Since their currency is losing value, I wonder if now is a good time to visit... obviously you'd have to take enough cash to pay for stuff in case all the banks collapse while you're there.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've heard Iceland is an amazing place to visit, but very expensive. Since their currency is losing value, I wonder if now is a good time to visit... obviously you'd have to take enough cash to pay for stuff in case all the banks collapse while you're there.
    I think the problem will be the excess baggage charges on all the bundles of Kroner you'll need next week will be more than the currency is worth.

Comment

If it gets that bad, maybe they'll accept Sterling/Euros/Dollars like many 3rd world countries do...
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I heard it's getting so bad they might have to change their name back to Beejam.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          If it gets that bad, maybe they'll accept Sterling/Euros/Dollars like many 3rd world countries do...
          I'm sure they will already accept a hard currency.

Don't forget to take enough cash with you to get home from the airport as well, just in case the ATMs aren't working when you get back.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Iceland will recover from this. They still control and have exclusive fishing rights to their territorial waters (200 miles offshore). They have one of the richest fishing grounds in the world.

They also have the benefit of being sat on top of one of the best sources of renewable energy in the world (they produced 0.1% of their electricity from fossil fuels in 2006) and 'export' their free electricity by undertaking aluminium smelting and the likes for the rest of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Iceland

They also have one of the highest literacy rates in the world. I particulary love the honesty of their politicians:

Despite this major setback the future of the nation is both sure and bright. What is most important is that the foundations of our society and the economy are solid, even though the superstructure has given way in the face of the present disaster. We have natural resources, both on sea and land, which will ensure us a good living whatever happens. Our level of education and the human resources which we have here are no less enviable in the eyes of other nations than our natural resources.

By the same token, we will have the opportunity to rebuild the financial system. We have learnt from those mistakes which were made during that period of massive growth and that experience will prove to be valuable when put to the test. With a common effort and with that optimism which characterises the Icelandic people, we will emerge from these difficulties and make a new and energetic come-back.
            Yep, we're fekked, but we'll be back.
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

What are the Russians up to with their lending to Iceland...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Guess we better take Reykjavik off the shortlist then.....
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I have a friend who is due out there next week. He goes every year, but has only just booked his hotel. Saved a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2099558/posts

Bottom half of the page
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X