• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banking IT is doing ok?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banking IT is doing ok?

In the last few days i've had two calls from the UK, regarding a programming job in a hedge fund and one in a bank. Also had two calls from agents in Sydney about jobs here. It has been quiet for a few months but seems to be picking up, unless it's a blip.

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    In the last few days i've had two calls from the UK, regarding a programming job in a hedge fund and one in a bank. Also had two calls from agents in Sydney about jobs here. It has been quiet for a few months but seems to be picking up, unless it's a blip.
    They'll both be public sector gigs soon. Boomed!
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Hey there AussieLong, hows that contract market in Oz? I was planning on returning to the UK next July (when ma contract here has rund out) but it looks like all the IT contactors are going to be living in a cardboard box under waterloo bridge soon the way the eurozone and UK economies are looking.

So theres always plan B, which is working in Sydney and crashing with my sister in Harbord. The IT market here in NZ is pretty good, and since we (Oz and NZ) are both doin OK with continuing good prospects, any heads up on the job market in Oz would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave
      [email protected]

p.s. if you've been in Oz long enuff u should know who (captn) Stan Goodvibes is ;-)

Comment

Just did a Oracle DBA search on JobServe. Seems quite a few roles out there at the moment, 500+ a day in banking.

Shame I know eff all about Oracle and DBAing.

Comment

Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
          Shame I know eff all about Oracle and DBAing.
          Not necessarily a bad thing. Earning good money is one thing, having to be an Oracle DBA to do it is something else all together. I think if I had to choose between that and being in a boy band I'd be standing up for the key change any day....

Comment

Not so sure I'd judge it on that - people I know in various banks are all a bit worried, projects are going on hold which is what sustained contractors till now, given we're not usualy headcount ... I think there's work out there but not as much, and rates are heading south.

My 2c.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

but it looks like all the IT contactors are going to be living in a cardboard box under waterloo bridge soon the way the eurozone and UK economies are looking.

Luxury - we used to dream of living in a cardboard box, you aint seen nothign yet.

No I dont mean that - everything is gonna be just fine fine fine.

So it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                people I know in various banks are all a bit worried
                Banking is not a world I know, but last week I did visit various IT folks in a bank with my large blue consultant's hat on. One asked straight out if we had jobs going. Others mumbled but the message was clear: these permies were worried alright.

Comment

Just got my contract at an IB extended for another year - no rate cut - sorted

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                    Hey there AussieLong, hows that contract market in Oz? I was planning on returning to the UK next July (when ma contract here has rund out) but it looks like all the IT contactors are going to be living in a cardboard box under waterloo bridge soon the way the eurozone and UK economies are looking.

So theres always plan B, which is working in Sydney and crashing with my sister in Harbord. The IT market here in NZ is pretty good, and since we (Oz and NZ) are both doin OK with continuing good prospects, any heads up on the job market in Oz would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave
                    [email protected]

p.s. if you've been in Oz long enuff u should know who (captn) Stan Goodvibes is ;-)
                    I went perm about 6 months ago so wouldn't really know. My recruiter mate told me the market was dead a couple of months back. In the last couple of weeks I have had more calls than usual for contracts. I'm not sure why though. My contractor mates have not had rate cuts yet.

Harbord is a nice place to crash if you can't find a job!
                    Freshwater Beach is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                    X