• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trader Job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trader Job

I have an interview for a role as a Trader this week. I fired off a CV ages ago and it's come back with a positive response.

Could be a bad time to get into it but it's gotta be worth a go - better than programming?

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    I have an interview for a role as a Trader this week. I fired off a CV ages ago and it's come back with a positive response.

Could be a bad time to get into it but it's gotta be worth a go - better than programming?
    If you don't actually enjoy what you do as a programmer I think it is worth trying anything to get out. It's a pretty depressing career to follow unless there is an enjoyment factor involved.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post

Yeah, go for it. However, it can be very boring some times.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
        If you don't actually enjoy what you do as a programmer I think it is worth trying anything to get out. It's a pretty depressing career to follow unless there is an enjoyment factor involved.
        I've been at it a long time and do enjoy it. It's always worth considering change and different options though.

Comment

It's probably a good time to be getting into it. If you mess up in the early days, you can put it down to general chaos.

Comment

What are you going to trade, mortgage debt? I wish you all the best in that career.

Comment

Trading is interesting but stressful, the rewards can be high.

Remember you have compliance and middle office checking your every move.

If you win then you get your good bonus if you lose its a long walk down shame avenue with no scope for starting afresh in the same sector.

Comment

The important thing to remember is that if you are going to go rogue and take the bank down several billion dollars, avoid the mistakes of the previous guys and make sure you stick at least a few mil in a bank account in Belize for yourself...

Oh, and probably a good idea to slip away to non-extradition land *before* the losses come to light...

Comment

Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
                  ...programmer... a pretty depressing career to follow unless there is an enjoyment factor involved.
                  I've never understood people who program without enjoying it. It has to be one of the most arduous, tortuous, and frustrating occupations short of doing real things like coalmining, unblocking sewers, or being a paramedic.

I love it myself, yet it still drives me to distraction on a daily basis. Voluntarily dealing, on a constant basis, with such a degree of frustration and intellectual challenge without actually enjoying it sounds like madness.

Still, when you get it working, and the code is beautiful...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I've never understood people who program without enjoying it. It has to be one of the most arduous, tortuous, and frustrating occupations short of doing real things like coalmining, unblocking sewers, or being a paramedic.

I love it myself, yet it still drives me to distraction on a daily basis. Voluntarily dealing, on a constant basis, with such a degree of frustration and intellectual challenge without actually enjoying it sounds like madness.

Still, when you get it working, and the code is beautiful...
                    The ancient Greeks viewed all froms of Labour as being detrmental - howver the worse occuptions were deemed to be those involving overt mental effort rather than physical.

Comment

Working...
                    X