• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

With a little help from my Friends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a little help from my Friends

Iceland expressed disappointment on Tuesday that western allies had failed to provide support to help ease the country’s financial crisis, forcing it to turn to Russia for a €4bn loan.

“We have not received the kind of support that we were requesting from our friends,” said Geir Haarde, prime minister. “So in a situation like that one has to look for new friends.”

So nobody wanted to help gallant little Iceland - except Russia - whom despite grave internal problems has come to their aid.

That is rather shameful of the West.

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Iceland expressed disappointment on Tuesday that western allies had failed to provide support to help ease the country’s financial crisis, forcing it to turn to Russia for a €4bn loan.

“We have not received the kind of support that we were requesting from our friends,” said Geir Haarde, prime minister. “So in a situation like that one has to look for new friends.”

So nobody wanted to help gallant little Iceland - except Russia - whom despite grave internal problems has come to their aid.

So in a few years' time, after Iceland joins, Russia will have a friend in the EU. And possibly some bases.

Just as the US already has.

Cold War, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      So in a few years' time, after Iceland joins, Russia will have a friend in the EU. And possibly some bases.

Just as the US already has.

Cold War, anyone?
      Well I guess WW3 is one way of re-kindling the Global economy - no thats way too cynical.

Comment

Maybe we should lend them some money in exchange for fishing rights in their waters?

Or send our trawlers up there protected by the RN. They cant afford a navy to defend themselves.....

Comment

Is he really called Keir Hardie???

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Maybe we should lend them some money in exchange for fishing rights in their waters?

Or send our trawlers up there protected by the RN. They cant afford a navy to defend themselves.....
            Ah, back to what made Britain great: send a gunboat to steal from other people.

Comment

Well I guess WW3 is one way of re-kindling the Global economy - no thats way too cynical.
              After the great depression it took 20 years to recover. I still think that protectionism and WW2 slowed the process up.

For WW3 could we be on the Germans side this time? Last 2 we were drawn in the other group.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                After the great depression it took 20 years to recover. I still think that protectionism and WW2 slowed the process up.

For WW3 could we be on the Germans side this time? Last 2 we were drawn in the other group.....
                Agree: I've always reckoned that war is waste, and a really big one like WWII is just a step back 2 generations. Whole countries' investments down the drain to pay for stuff that blows up or gets blown up, a generation doing no productive work, huge net values of buildings destroyed, and farming land laid waste. 20 years is conservative.

ISTM that Vietnam was the USA's first money-haemorrage, and Iraq and Afghanistan are ruining them now.

Comment

And possibly rather stupid. This, not the banking crisis itself, may be the biggest thing that happens this decade, because it may affect decades to come.

Comment

All the other friends are a bit strapped for cash right now. They are a bit busy solving their own financial crises too.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X