• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A repeat of 1929

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A repeat of 1929

This to me is actually more like 1929 each day. The 90% drop in the stock market to about 12-18 months and the banks were all failing at the same time.
    I'm alright Jack

Big difference is the government response. Last time they let it all rock and roll and didn't interfere.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Big difference is the government response. Last time they let it all rock and roll and didn't interfere.
      It took 3 years to interfere?

Then protectionism and war slowed the recovery?

Comment

I agree - and so we can expect to see widespread "real economy" impact and our pensions reduced to small change. As for bargain hunting on the stock market I believe in the GD values remained depressed right through to WW2.
        I almost wish I did not have a very good contract right now as I would like to take what remains of my savings and go travel for a few years - it seems the sensible approach.
        Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          It took 3 years to interfere?

Then protectionism and war slowed the recovery?
          I thought that the war enabled the recovery.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            This to me is actually more like 1929 each day. The 90% drop in the stock market to about 12-18 months and the banks were all failing at the same time.
            Top doom posting BB
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

everybody,

many moons ago, I recommended all to read this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Crash-...3456474&sr=8-1

it explains in detail all that happened and why in 1929, today history is repeating itself

at the time when I made this suggestion there were the usual sniggers from the back of the class

it is not too late to invest in the £6,99 book and understand what happened in the past and use knowledge of the past to enable you to put yourselves in a better position to make decisions on protecting yourselves today

all the best

Milan.

Comment

Watch out, AL Capone is about:

1929. St. Valentine's Day Massacre: Seven gangsters, rivals of Al Capone, are murdered in Chicago.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  everybody,

many moons ago, I recommended all to read this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Crash-...3456474&sr=8-1

it explains in detail all that happened and why in 1929, today history is repeating itself

at the time when I made this suggestion there were the usual sniggers from the back of the class

it is not too late to invest in the £6,99 book and understand what happened in the past and use knowledge of the past to enable you to put yourselves in a better position to make decisions on protecting yourselves today

all the best

Milan.
                  I've read the book. It's tulip! In fact it's all about tulips!

Comment

morning Winston

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X