• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Tale for our Times - Deadly Sins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Tale for our Times - Deadly Sins

The 990-pound (450-kilogram), bedridden man who had appealed on Mexican television for help tackling his weight problem died Tuesday of heart failure, his family said.

Jose Luis Garza, 47, tipped the scales at almost 1,000 pounds before his death.

Emergency officials had to knock down Jose Luis Garza's bedroom wall and load him onto the back of a friend's pickup as he fought for his life. The 47-year-old was pronounced dead on arrival at a hospital in northern Mexico.

Garza followed in the footsteps of the world's fattest man, fellow Mexican Manuel Uribe of Monterrey, by taking his weight problem public. Garza lived about an hour away from Uribe in the town of Juarez.

Garza said he always struggled with his obesity, but that he fell into a desperate cycle of depression and overeating nine months ago after his parents died of natural causes within two weeks of each other. He had been bedridden for four months.

Garza's condition deteriorated over the weekend as he struggled to breathe and eat. At his funeral, family members slammed state officials for not moving Garza to a hospital in Mexico before he became critically ill.

"If he had received support at the time he asked for it, he would still be with us," said his brother Pedro Garza.

"The attention he would have received at a hospital would have been the same he got at home," said Julio Cesar Cano, spokesman for the Nuevo Leon state health department. "Moving a patient of that magnitude is very difficult. A normal ambulance won't work."

Uribe, whose record weight of 1,230 pounds (560 kilos) earned him a place in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, has claimed to have lost around 550 pounds (250 kilos) by following the Zone Diet invented by Dr. Barry Sears.

Uribe tried to help Garza by sending him kiwis, grapefruit, pears and a protein supplement. Uribe's fiancee, Claudia Solis, delivered the food on Friday evening.

That a message for Threaded?
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Makes me feel quite slim. Maybe there IS room for another doughnut.....
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

MMmm sandwich lady just turned up... will have to see what cakes she has today
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

"OK, so who's volunteering to be pallbearer?" "Any volunteers? Any at all? No?"
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Some more deadly sins ...

Kerry Katona is thrilled with her new body after undergoing £15,000 of cosmetic surgery.

The former Atomic Kitten singer, 28, underwent a breast reduction operation, liposuction and removal of stretch marks at the St John and St Elizabeth Hospital, in North London in August.

Kerry revealed her joy this week over the successful surgery, as she prepared to fly out of Manchester Airport for a sunshine break with her husband Mark Croft today.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
              Some more deadly sins ...

Kerry Katona is thrilled with her new body after undergoing £15,000 of cosmetic surgery.

The former Atomic Kitten singer, 28, underwent a breast reduction operation, liposuction and removal of stretch marks at the St John and St Elizabeth Hospital, in North London in August.

Kerry revealed her joy this week over the successful surgery, as she prepared to fly out of Manchester Airport for a sunshine break with her husband Mark Croft today.
              Wasn't she just declared bankrupt?
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                I havent the foggiest - if she was then she is really in the soup ...hang on was she bankrupted over unpaid tax bills ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  hang on was she bankrupted over unpaid tax bills ?
                  Correct.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Shouldn't have gone to Iceland...
                    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                    X