• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stock market riots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock market riots

In Hong Kong:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1008/hongkong.html

Riots in Hong Kong after heavy stock losses

Much more analysis here:

http://news.google.co.uk/news?ned=hk

The Chinese have been borrowing heavily to invest in their stocks & shares for a long time, because they could only see the upside.
    This was crazy and now many will lose their shirts. Never borrow to buy shares because there is always a downside!!!!

Comment

Argentine Banking crisis of 2001 was a big deal at the time - now...

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        The Chinese have been borrowing heavily to invest in their stocks & shares for a long time, because they could only see the upside.
        This was crazy and now many will lose their shirts. Never borrow to buy shares because there is always a downside!!!!
        It could never happen here
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Hsbc?
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            It could never happen here
            Interesting, people had a riot about the poll tax, and that was SFA compared to what's happening now ...
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              Hsbc?
              I thought they were one of the safer banks so far?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I thought they were one of the safer banks so far?
                Hence the question mark.
                If there are heavy losses in Hong Kong and Shanghai and the locals are causing a run on the banks I am guessing that the Hong Kong and Shanghai bank is likely to have problems.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  Hence the question mark.
                  If there are heavy losses in Hong Kong and Shanghai and the locals are causing a run on the banks I am guessing that the Hong Kong and Shanghai bank is likely to have problems.
                  Ummm ... where to start.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
                    Argentine Banking crisis of 2001 was a big deal at the time - now...
                    Didn't Argentina go bankrupt in that one?
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X