• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomwatch - EDS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomwatch - EDS

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20...d-6323e80.html

Thousands of jobs of workers on Government computer contracts are to be axed over the next two years, union officials have been told.

The news - following last month's takeover of EDS by Hewlett Packard, the world's largest personal computer maker - was described as a "huge blow" to workers.
    Sack the permies, keep the contractors?

boomed !!
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I did a contract for EDS a couple of years back - it was so badly managed it was frightening. EDS management could make Dick Fuld or Gordon Brown look like Warren Buffett on steriods.

Quite frankly that article is good news on 2 fronts - a)for the staff who are getting laid off, in hindsight this will prove to be one of the best things that happened to them, and b) the less EDS is involved in govt contracts the better for the govt all round and you the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
        I did a contract for EDS a couple of years back - it was so badly managed it was frightening. EDS management could make Dick Fuld or Gordon Brown look like Warren Buffett on steriods.

Quite frankly that article is good news on 2 fronts - a)for the staff who are getting laid off, in hindsight this will prove to be one of the best things that happened to them, and b) the less EDS is involved in govt contracts the better for the govt all round and you the people.
        I hate the f*!"£@s too. They messed me around at a well known bank and took huge amounts of commission for my hard work.

They take the taxpayer for millions, have a nice cosy arrangement with the govt and provide employment for any 3rd world country that isnt England.

I hope they lose all their govt. contracts.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working with EDS staff =

Working with Accenture staff =
          Working with Accenture female staff =

I'm still trying to work out is it because they all appear to be recent graduates and hence know fook all, or whether they do in-house training courses on "how to fook up projects completely in order to maximise revenues by extending the duration"
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I remember the day about 3 months into the contract (which had gone screamingly over budget (millions) without actually delivering a result), when we were all called into a meeting with senior management.

In a (prescient) Dick-Fuld-type moment, one of the female management team members exclaimed that they were canning the project, and were not sure what had actually gone wrong.

I was sitting on my hands barely managing to stop myself from raising my arm and going ' ooh ooh I know, I know. Please Miss...'

It was my first contract with a big global 'firm'. I am constantly amazed that they still get contracts (check out the 'Controversy' section of the EDS page on wikipedia). If HP has any sense they'll just close the business down and sack everyone, a cheap(ish) way to remove a major competitor, and save thousands if not millions of ordinary people from being inconvenienced by their shoddy software projects.

Comment

Say, wasn't EDS supposed to return millions from the bungled Tax Credits contract....except that the government agreed to pay them less on future contracts..hence assuring them of future work. At least that's what I recall.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Blind leading the Blind - that was my view whilst consulting for EDS on one of their government projects. Completely and utterly inept.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Working with EDS staff =

Working with Accenture staff =
                  Working with Accenture female staff =

I'm still trying to work out is it because they all appear to be recent graduates and hence know fook all, or whether they do in-house training courses on "how to fook up projects completely in order to maximise revenues by extending the duration"
                  Can't comment re EDS but for the rest whs with bells on.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                    a) I'm not sure the people who get laid off would agree with that flippant remark.
                    b) Out of interest, and I'll put this to the floor, which companies would be able to fill the shoes of EDS in a more efficient and cost-effective manner?

I'll set out my stall here so as not to be accused of defending them - I have contracted in the past for EDS on large HMG programmes. I've also seen what a complete PITA it is to have HMG agencies as clients so I do have some sympathy for the likes of EDS, ACC etc...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X