• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TB in India and China

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TB in India and China

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050907/...in_outsourcing

Copied below :

Blair Defends Outsourcing Work to Others By RAJESH MAHAPATRA, Associated Press Writer
    Wed Sep 7,10:38 AM ET

British Prime Minister Tony Blair on Wednesday defended European companies that outsource work to low-wage countries like India, saying it helps the firms become more competitive and in the process enriches Europe.

Global companies have increasingly farmed out any task that can be done over a computer network to low-wage countries. India is the undisputed king of the business with 44 percent of the market for outsourced work and revenues of $17.2 billion last year.

The moves have led to layoffs in Europe, angering many trade unions and fueling opposition to outsourcing.

But Blair told Indian and European business leaders that outsourcing has helped Europe as well.

"Companies have used relocation of call centers and used outsourcing in order to build a more effective structure," he said. That benefits not just "the places to which the work is outsourced but also the companies and people in the UK and Europe."

Blair made the comments as he pushed for increasing opening of economies by governments of India and European countries at an annual India-EU business summit.

Britain's Trade and Industry Minister Alan Johnson doled out evidence to support Blair's comments.

He gave the example of LogicaCMG, a British-Dutch information technology company, which recently won a contract to build Real Time Gross Settlement systems for India's central bank. Several years ago, LogicaCMG shifted some of its work to Bangalore, India's technology hub, where it now employs nearly 2,000 engineers. Johnson argued the company would not have won the central bank deal without its base in Bangalore.

But he is not in favour of lowering duty on petrol to make firms more competitive - hypocrite

Comment

Tut tut, get it right

Originally posted by GiGo
      But he is not in favour of lowering duty on petrol to make firms more competitive - hypocrite
      But he is not in favour of lowering duty on petrol to make BRITISH firms more competitive. Remember, it's only indigenous brits that NL hate.
      Whoops, sorry, it's only indigenous white male brits that NL hate.
      Last edited by Dundeegeorge; 8 September 2005, 10:27. Reason: mistake
      Why not?

Comment

"Companies have used relocation of... That benefits... but also the... people in the UK and Europe."

Examples of this benefit???? - anyone???
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
          "Companies have used relocation of... That benefits... but also the... people in the UK and Europe."

A number of shareholders in these outsourcing companies have trousered rather larger divvies recently.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

What a co-incidence. I phoned one the banks I use in England this morning on its 0845 number and got through to a called centre. Chap said he was "Steve" from "Copenhagen", except he didn't quite pronounce it in any way I'd heard before. Well, it did make me laugh, and he couldn't speak Danish either. Tut!

So the Caller-Id must go through some software that picks a town or city close to where you call from and tells the call centre guy or gal what to say.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Well it's difficult to quantify, Xog

Originally posted by xoggoth

as we're not privy to the details of Tony's bank account!!!!!!
              Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by GiGo
                102.9 per litre this morning for BP Ultimate Unleaded!

Good job I'm a contractor but I do worry about the poor.
                Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                You know you'll need us!

Comment

Outsourcing done properly and for the right reasons is good. Everyone wins and everyone is happy. Company saves money and invests these revenues in other things. Wealth is shared round. Foreign companies increase local employment and as such immigration is reduced. As I said everyone wins.
                  Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Sorry, Chico, but you're talking bollox there mate.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X