• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Co or umbrella Co for newbie contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd Co or umbrella Co for newbie contractor

After 30 years of being a permie, I think I've just secured my first contract. I do have a personal friend who has a very successful accountancy firm. I had a chat with hime and he advises that a Ltd Co would be the best option. What do you old hands advise? They want me to start Monday!

If I do get caught for IR35, apart from generally paying more tax, what actually are the implications?

Re:

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
    After 30 years of being a permie, I think I've just secured my first contract. I do have a personal friend who has a very successful accountancy firm. I had a chat with hime and he advises that a Ltd Co would be the best option. What do you old hands advise? They want me to start Monday!

If I do get caught for IR35, apart from generally paying more tax, what actually are the implications?
    Ltd Co.

Comment

OK, why?

Should I just put complete trust in my friend? He says that he can set me up (pardon the pun) for about £180. He said that you can get it cheaper on the internet but he would do everything (whatever that means) for that. Will I need/should I register for VAT?

The agency suggest that I start with a management company and then change over....

Comment

Re:

About £180 is right. The personal touch is much better than getting hived. You will probably have to register yourself for VAT, but your accountant will advise you there.

Don't worry about IR35, it's a state of mind.

Comment

What difference does IR35 make if you are caught?

Comment

What difference does IR35 make if you are caught?
            A wider ar$ehole...
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

dear mr tax man troll

whats the difference between a friend and a personal friend ?

If I had a friend I didnt trust he would be an ex-friend
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'm sure I can trust him....

Comment

I'm sure I can trust him....
                  Same lodge by any chance?

BTW, have you read any of the "Old Tyler Talks"?
                  Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                  You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
                    Same lodge by any chance?
                    Jesus is a freemason

That reminds me... A wife asks her husband, "why do you spend so much time in the toilet with that little black book?"
                    Husband replies, "Because, my dear, it is the only tyled room in the house!"
                    Last edited by WageSlave; 8 September 2005, 14:20.
                    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Working...
                    X