• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happens if it just doesn't work....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if it just doesn't work....

Early days and all that, but it doesn't seem to have unblocked things much so far

If they all sit on their cash and just roll over their own debt obligations with government bail-out funds, what happens? Can the system self-destruct eventually?

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
    Early days and all that, but it doesn't seem to have unblocked things much so far

If they all sit on their cash and just roll over their own debt obligations with government bail-out funds, what happens? Can the system self-destruct eventually?
    It's not an if but a when. The bail-outs won't work, and never will, but that won't stop New Labour winning the next election and then presenting every tax payer with a £50K tax bill to cover the losses.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      It's not an if but a when. The bail-outs won't work, and never will, but that won't stop New Labour winning the next election and then presenting every tax payer with a £50K tax bill to cover the losses.
      But it is everywhere, all national governments are blasting away with both barrels and they seem to be running out of ammo. Can the 'market' really kill itself?

Comment

These 'bail-outs' are effectively loans and will be repaid in due course, but it may take many years. HMG will make a profit on the shares and is earning interest all of the time. Bail-out really is the wrong phrase and is emotive media-speak.

If New Lie win the next election then we are all in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
          But it is everywhere, all national governments are blasting away with both barrels and they seem to be running out of ammo. Can the 'market' really kill itself?
          No - but it is going to take a long while for the excesses to work through the system.

New laws should be passed stopping anyone (globally) from borrowing more than three times their salary - and only 75% of the asset value.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

New laws should be passed stopping anyone (globally) from borrowing more than three times their salary - and only 75% of the asset value.....
            Atw, is that you?

Comment

Atw, is that you?
              yes - I did think that after my post. Though I think atw would either go for 1* salary and 50% - or all property is theft.

Comment

Whether it works or not, top end property prices in Swindon will not be effected.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  yes - I did think that after my post. Though I think atw would either go for 1* salary and 50% - or all property is theft.
                  Well if recent events don't qualify as a classic Crisis In Capitalism, I'm not sure what would.

I saw newsnight a few days ago and Geofrrey Robinson joked about labour finally implementing their 1983 manifesto - that's sleeper agents for you

Comment

I think we may be at the end of Reaganite / Thatcherite free market laissez-faire capitalism. Not sure where we'll go next, but possibly back to post-war Keynesian economics.

Comment

Working...
                    X