• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to make money out of the current stock market chaos?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure there are some experts on here who are rubbing their hands knowing that however low the FTSE etc falls, it's bound to go back up again, so how about some tips on how to cash in?

Is spread betting still legal? With the FTSE dropping 5% a day then rising the next day, isn't this prime time for making a killing if you guess which way it's going each day? Say bet £100/point. Not really looked into it that much (as if you'd guess), but it seems an attractive proposition for the real gamblers out there.

The lower risk option is to drip cash into an index tracker once we're sure it's on it's way up and not down.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

sell, sell and sell again
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

You would be lucky to preserve the existing cash

Comment

Momma used to say - Never catch a falling knive

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I'm sure there are some experts on here who are rubbing their hands knowing that however low the FTSE etc falls, it's bound to go back up again, so how about some tips on how to cash in?

Is spread betting still legal? With the FTSE dropping 5% a day then rising the next day, isn't this prime time for making a killing if you guess which way it's going each day? Say bet £100/point. Not really looked into it that much (as if you'd guess), but it seems an attractive proposition for the real gamblers out there.

The lower risk option is to drip cash into an index tracker once we're sure it's on it's way up and not down.
          Spread betting was never illegal. Gains are tax-free but losses cannot be used to offset gains made elsewhere.

You go make money going or long on indices (FTSE, DOW etc) or on individual stocks. To trade with a Spread Bet firm, you need to put in money to fund the trade. A £100pp bet (as you say above) would need £5000 to be sitting in your spread bet account (i.e Notional Trade Requirement = £50). You could very easily lose that £5k or more if you get the bet wrong and don't know when to stop out.

You'll find that all the part-time traders present on CUK won't be posting much these days because they're too busy playing the markets ... so ..... see ya!

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Say bet £100/point.
            So you put your position on. Then we get a "bond market dislocation"

This causes the FTSE to fall by 40% to 2500 - a loss of 1500 points. So at £100/point you lose £150K.

Rocking!

But that is a worse case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

This causes the FTSE to fall by 40% to 2500 - a loss of 1500 points. So at £100/point you lose £150K.

Rocking!

Er doesn't it depend on whether the bet was for it to fall or rise? - could be £150k up

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

Rocking!

If you've got £100 a point on the FTSE, you need to be watching it like a hawk these days...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Seems to me there have been some pretty straight dives or rises over the course of a day recently. e.g. FTSE currently down another 300 points (or 8%) today, with a few rises in between, but still a predictable downward trend over the course of the day.

I wish I had time to get clued up. I'm sure there are people making a killing if they have the spare cash to throw at it and not worry too much if they make the odd bad decision. Just like those that got the banks in this state in the first place!

Where's AtW? He makes it all sound so simple.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

How about by having a sweep on which of the manic depressives here are going to top themselves first?
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X