• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The new world order starts here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new world order starts here

This was a momentous week, that will long be remembered in history. Not for what happened to your house price or your pension - the 3 biggest things that happened in the last week were these, though nobody has noticed yet:

1. Iceland became a Russian outpost in waiting. It won't be long.
    2. The UK government used anti-terror legislation to back a purely commercial transaction (freezing Icelandic assets); and nobody seems to think there is anything strange about this.
    3. The EU became the League of Nations. That too was a fine and optimistic institution, until it faced a real challenge, and then it was revealed to be an empty coat, and then it had no more significance.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    This was a momentous week, that will long be remembered in history. Not for what happened to your house price or your pension - the 3 biggest things that happened in the last week were these, though nobody has noticed yet:

2. The UK government used anti-terror legislation to back a purely commercial transaction (freezing Icelandic assets); and nobody seems to think there is anything strange about this.
    3. The EU became the League of Nations. That too was a fine and optimistic institution, until it faced a real challenge, and then it was revealed to be an empty coat, and then it had no more significance.
    Surprisingly astute.
    Last edited by Bob Dalek; 10 October 2008, 10:54.

Comment

And you're in scotland slap bang between us and Iceland.

'effen indeed...

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

'effen indeed...
        There are 2 rules for security:

1. never tell them everything.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

'effen indeed...

Looks like Scotland could be a war zone soon. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            Looks like Scotland could be a war zone soon. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Good one, that's where we keep the nuclear submarines.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

well spotted, i didnt see that myself, must ahve my eye off the ball.....

Comment

Worryingly accurate! Although on point 2, the Icelandic Prime Minister thought it was quite odd
                Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Maybe Brown will declare that Iceland has WMD with a 45 min deployment time. That rock'll be ours before the Russkies even get a Tupolev off the ground.

All your snow are belong to us.
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

1. I dunno, I think that might be gamesmanship. They are very independent minded people - surely they wouldn't go along with that in reality?

2. It is an interesting example of how flexible peoples principles are (needs must etc.) when push comes to shove. If you can get away with this type of move for the sake of expediency then what else would be accepted without question. Interesting.

3. I think you'll find the Gerogia/Russia incident already got them bang to rights on that one!

Comment

Working...
                    X