• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who is buying all the shares?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is buying all the shares?

Unless I misunderstood, the number of shares in a company stays constant (except rare time when they release new shares or something like that). So that means for every share someone sells, someone else has to buy it?

With all the traders selling and so on, how are they finding people to buy? Is it just a case that there are always people willing to buy at a low enough price?

When I want to sell 1000 shares, does the stockbroker have to wait until he can find someone willing to buy, or are they held in some sort of limbo between selling/buying?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Unless I misunderstood, the number of shares in a company stays constant (except rare time when they release new shares or something like that). So that means for every share someone sells, someone else has to buy it?

With all the traders selling and so on, how are they finding people to buy? Is it just a case that there are always people willing to buy at a low enough price?

When I want to sell 1000 shares, does the stockbroker have to wait until he can find someone willing to buy, or are they held in some sort of limbo between selling/buying?
    They are all bought by idiot IT types that think that when a company loses 90% if it's value, it means it is a bargain and the share price will shoot back up again.

Comment

me well just a few.

There are millions and millions of investors not all sell at the same time otherwise the shares would be 0.

aha just read DP's post ha ha
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Never catch a falling knife. Been there and never again....... SMUG

Comment

The price is set by the market makers - at what they are prepared to pay for a share. It doesn't mean anybody is prepared to sell at those prices, which is why you get spreads.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It mostly depends on the liquidity of the companies shares (How many are traded in a day).

If a stock has a high liquidity ie Microsoft at an average volume of 80 million shares traded in a day, chances are there will be someone who wants to buy or sell the shares at the current market value. If there are more sellers than buyers, the stock goes down. More buyers than sellers, the stock goes up.

Low liquidity stocks on the other hand are harder to buy and sell and the price spread is usually larger.

Comment

Short sellers covering
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

You shouldn't be buying shares if you don't understand the function of a Market maker.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  You shouldn't be buying shares if you don't understand the function of a Market maker.
                  Just to be contrary (I'm in that sort of mood)... Why not? I don't need to understand mechanics and combustion to drive a car. If, for whatever reason, I think a company's long term prospects are good, why do I care what a Market Maker does?

To balance my argument slightly, I would agree that it's probably best not to dabble with day trading if you don't know the function of a Market Maker.
                  Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

i have a magic marker if that's any use
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X