• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There but for the grace of God...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There but for the grace of God...

...and a healthy dose of common sense...

Whilst Northern Rock was taking a nose dive last year* I looked at Kaupthing and Icesave to move my money, particularly since the Sunday Times had them at No. 1 for rates for months.

Looking at the fact that they were a 1/2% higher than anyone else (hooking the greedy) and the fact that both websites looked like a wedoitcheap.com comedy act, I decided that they were a bunch of barrow-boys out to fleece the greedy and unwary. Didn't use either in the end....

Needless to say don't have a huge amount of sympathy for those who took a risky gamble and lost....

*I didn't have money in NR before they were nationalised for the same reason as above (i do now, however...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

They were not 1 to 2 % higher than anyone else. There were others offering around the same rate. They were for the greedy eh? Then why were you considering it?

PS I couldn't really care less who you have sympathy for.
    I always thought you were a Troll or sockpuppet, now I'm 100% certain.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 10 October 2008, 11:49.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Oh, the irony

'I always thought you were a Troll or sockpuppet'
      Why not?

Comment

Gordon Brown has been gambling with the economy and has lost. Unfortunately, it means that even us that did not vote for him have to suffer too.

..... but then again there is a plus side........ 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          They were not 1 to 2 % higher than anyone else. There were others offering around the same rate. They were for the greedy eh? Then why were you considering it?

PS I couldn't really care less who you have sympathy for.
          I always thought you were a Troll or sockpuppet, now I'm 100% certain.
          Excuse me Bagpuss!

Where on earth did that bile come from??

Got our fingers burnt, did we???

(1/2% = half a percent - and I think you'll find they were...)
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            Gordon Brown has been gambling with the economy and has lost. Unfortunately, it means that even us that did not vote for him have to suffer too.

..... but then again there is a plus side........ 2010
            2010 being the End of the Cycle of Time - according to the Mayans ?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              ...and a healthy dose of common sense...

Whilst Northern Rock was taking a nose dive last year* I looked at Kaupthing and Icesave to move my money, particularly since the Sunday Times had them at No. 1 for rates for months.

Looking at the fact that they were a 1/2% higher than anyone else (hooking the greedy) and the fact that both websites looked like a wedoitcheap.com comedy act, I decided that they were a bunch of barrow-boys out to fleece the greedy and unwary. Didn't use either in the end....

Needless to say don't have a huge amount of sympathy for those who took a risky gamble and lost....

*I didn't have money in NR before they were nationalised for the same reason as above (i do now, however...)
              Bit harsh on those that used them imo. If a company's duty is to offer to market the best product they possibly can and as a consumer your duty is to look for what appears to be the best deal then why not go for it. That 'greed' you refer to is something that we are all guilty of in some way on an almost daily basis i.e. every time we purchase something there is a cost/quality/reliability etc etc decision to be made.

Bottom line: I don't believe the investors deserve what has happened to them one iota.

Comment

Gamble? It's a frickin' bank (well it was). How can putting your money in a bank be considered greedy. You should have more sympathy for those who have had their pension fund cleaned out. What's more, we could be next. Unless you're on the dole of course.......
                Bored.

Comment

Excuse me Bagpuss!

Where on earth did that bile come from??

Got our fingers burnt, did we???

(1/2% = half a percent - and I think you'll find they were...)
                  No they were not even that, 0.05 at most. But that's besides the point, why post such a smug post when someone on this board has suffered the possibility of losing 200k? Insensitive to say the least and totally uncalled for.

Yes I did have some money in KE, but if you'd read up before posting your smugness you would know that nobody has lost out from that bank anyway.

On a possitive note perhaps your tealeaves can tell us the next bank likely to go under? Is it a greedy one from the top of the interest list?
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    They were for the greedy eh? Then why were you considering it?
                    The original post says "for the greedy and unwary", not just the "greedy".

(Not that I agree that putting money in a bank classes as greedy)
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X