• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

:mad Car Insurance Scam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:mad Car Insurance Scam

I just had a call from my car insurer saying that they have had a third party claim made against me due to me rear-ending someone in sheffield on 01-sep.

I have not been to anywhere close to sheffield on that day and it seems the person who rear-ended her car had told the victim that his name was some 'singh' (some indian sounding name) and he was my friend and this singh has given my car registration details.....

I am totally shocked and have told the insurance chaps that I have never lent my car to anyone and on that day and time i was driving my car to work in the midlands....

Has anyone has similar experience.....is it a known scam

Originally posted by schindler View Post
    I just had a call from my car insurer saying that they have had a third party claim made against me due to me rear-ending someone in sheffield on 01-sep.

I have not been to anywhere close to sheffield on that day and it seems the person who rear-ended her car had told the victim that his name was some 'singh' (some indian sounding name) and he was my friend and this singh has given my car registration details.....

I am totally shocked and have told the insurance chaps that I have never lent my car to anyone and on that day and time i was driving my car to work in the midlands....

Has anyone has similar experience.....is it a known scam
    Do you have any proof of where you were that day? work emails? credit card transactions?

I wonder if this is a number plate cloning thing?

Comment

Very common scam I'm afraid.

It's not at all rare for people to have cloned number plates. Not like it's hard to harvest plate details by walking round a few car parks noting number, colour, make, model.
      Another common tactic is to trawl the likes of Autotrader ads.

My advice is to check to see if you have any tangible evidence that you were somewhere else at the time, that and call the Police and make a statement to state you were elsewhere and it appears that your numberplate has been cloned.

Comment

Working...
      X