• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Avoid banks if...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoid banks if...

they meet any or all or these criteria

1) They originate in a newly de-regulated economy/banking system
    2) They originate in politically unstable/potentially corrupt political systems (seriously, don't say "that's GB"...)
    3) Companies within the host country start to make newsworthy acquisitions at a fast pace.
    4) "High Growth/Tiger economy" phrases start creeping into these articles
    5) Lack of an income generating (manufacturing) base - where does all this money to buy things come from?
    6) They suddenly appear as No. 1 - the Sunday broadsheets "best rate" tables...
    7) If a UK bank - have they been bought out by a parent with any of the above?

Examples:

ICICI Bank UK
    First Bank of Nigeria (who in their right mind thought that was a good idea???)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

8) AtW tells you to
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

PS. If you dislike risk don't go for a bank if it meets 1 of those criteria.

The more criteria you accept = the more risk you like

HTH.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I would stick Bank Santander on your list and they own the Abbey, Cater Allen and B&B !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          I would stick Bank Santander on your list and they own the Abbey, Cater Allen and B&B !!
          Is this based on any fact, reasoning or special information or more opinionated drivel from a cretin?

Comment

Youve probably heard the old Chinese agage - With crises comes opportunity.

Following the collapse of the International Banking System (wow! who would have creditied it - eh ?!) the public are cying out for a save haven for their hard earned pennys.

To satisfy this demand I have created Banco Diablo (c)

I have registered this bank offworld on Titan which means favorable tax breaks.

The website is under construction - min opening acccount balance being 51k.

Dont miss this exceptional opportunity.

Comment

My understanding was that they're doing well because they operate under stricter controls and governance than most banks and therefore have more cash reserves...
              B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                My understanding was that they're doing well because they operate under stricter controls and governance than most banks and therefore have more cash reserves...

Like any bank we do not know what their levels of subprime are, and also the Spanish housing market must surely be going through the worst recession ever. In fact the whole Spanish economy is in a mess because people will not go there on holiday from the UK because of the recession here and strong Euro. The UK is one of their biggest customers.

Big does not mean safe with dried-up moneymarkets, greed etc, as we should all know by now, but I get very suspicious when people such as AtW tell me that they are the safest bank.

Comment

Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
                  Is this based on any fact, reasoning or special information or more opinionated drivel from a cretin?
                  Like any bank we do not know what their levels of subprime are, and also the Spanish housing market must surely be going through the worst recession ever. In fact the whole Spanish economy is in a mess because people will not go there on holiday from the UK because of the recession here and strong Euro. The UK is one of their biggest customers.

Big does not mean safe with dried-up moneymarkets, greed etc, as we should all know by now, but I get very suspicious when people such as AtW tell me that they are the safest bank.
                  Well I guess that answers that then.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    they meet any or all or these criteria

1) They originate in a newly de-regulated economy/banking system
                    2) They originate in politically unstable/potentially corrupt political systems (seriously, don't say "that's GB"...)
                    3) Companies within the host country start to make newsworthy acquisitions at a fast pace.
                    4) "High Growth/Tiger economy" phrases start creeping into these articles
                    5) Lack of an income generating (manufacturing) base - where does all this money to buy things come from?
                    6) They suddenly appear as No. 1 - the Sunday broadsheets "best rate" tables...
                    7) If a UK bank - have they been bought out by a parent with any of the above?

Examples:

ICICI Bank UK
                    First Bank of Nigeria (who in their right mind thought that was a good idea???)
                    Ok I won't use point 2 as requested, but point 5 means don't touch a UK bank.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X