• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sarah Palin "Guilty of Abusing Power"...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarah Palin "Guilty of Abusing Power"...

...but Republicans say it's OK because of a minor technicality:
    "I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110 (a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act," investigator Steve Branchflower concluded in the panel's 263-page report.

But Mrs Palin's lawyer said that the report had not been conclusive.

"In order to violate the ethics law, there has to be some personal gain," said Thomas Van Flein.

"Mr Branchflower has failed to identify any financial gain."

Note that the Republicans aren't trying to deny that she behaved in a reprehensible manner - they just say that she shouldn't be held to account for it, according to their interpretation of the law.

Given that she's in the running for a job that puts her one heartbeat away from control of the most powerful nation in the world, and its nuclear arsenal, should we not be expecting a high degree of probity? Or is "I did it, but you can't make the charges stick" good enough to govern the USA? That strikes me as an East LA crack dealer's defence.

Not that I expected anything better from that mob, but they seem to be getting more shameless by the day

(Also note the careful choice of words: he conflates "some personal gain" with "financial gain". Does the relevant statute require financial gain, or does getting a feeling of smug self-satisfaction from screwing over somebody who you regarded as interfering with your personal vendetta constitute personal gain? Knowing American lawyers, this one will run and run...)

winker
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Do politicians have NO shame?

I thought so...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Do politicians have NO shame?

I thought so...
        You mean like Mandelson?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

She'll rule the roost one day, mark my words.

Comment

Evn if this ghastly woman had any desirable qualities, I could not vote for anyone who looked like an advert for Specsavers.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

“Politician abused powers to extract vengeance on those that cross them and their family” has something of “Pope visits woods for a morning constitutional” about it. If this is ALL that they can dig up on the woman then she must be a saint!
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Given that she has been inciting her nutty supporters to hate Obama so much that they scream "kill him" at her speeches....when he gets elected next month and then gets assassinated between then and January - will she be arrested?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  winker
                  Who, Palin?
                  Do you have any pictures?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Who, Palin?
                    Do you have any pictures?
                    Here's one of your real favourite politician instead.

Linky
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X