• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you sell facebook?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you sell facebook?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7664384.stm

What if sharing information on a mass scale becomes less and less attractive and he cannot get $7 for his business never mind $7,000,000,000

This is what happens when the star trek generation takes over money comes 2nd after human prosperity.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

It shows the guy has learnt some important life values that don't include money. I applaud him for his lack of greed. Let's have more of it!!!

Comment

Most people wouldn't have sold out at 24. He just hasn't grown up yet.

Crazy not to. This is just another craze that will be over when the next comes along. He'll have an easier time being creative and working in motivated technical teams for the fun of it if he's got a passive income from a large banked sum coming in each year. Is facebook all he ever wants to do? Because it's very likely to be the only one that make him decent money.

Silly boy. Too late now?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        It shows the guy has learnt some important life values that don't include money. I applaud him for his lack of greed. Let's have more of it!!!
        I think hes even more greedy by not taking the money now. He probably thinks facebook will be worth 200 billion dollars one day, the next google etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
          I think hes even more greedy by not taking the money now. He probably thinks facebook will be worth 200 billion dollars one day, the next google etc.

.... but it won't be with other alternatives constantly entering the market. Mind you I'm sure he'd survive if he was only offered a million quid, let alone billions.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
            This is just another craze that will be over when the next comes along.
            WHS

Comment

I dunno, I share a different opinion.

There are certain 'de-facto' internet and IT products...

Google
              Microsoft
              Cisco
              Intel
              etc..

Sure there are alternatives, but they will always be the best ones and market leaders in their own area. I think Facebook is a tool which 'everyone' can relate to who wants to use it to be sociable and stay in touch with others, share information, etc. They are the 'de-facto' in their area which is social networking. With such a large share of the market, I don't see how even a better product could come along and and bite into and swallow that market right now.

I also don't think it's a phad and that it will go away anytime soon, it's filled a gap for something useful which didn't really exist (to the masses) previously. People might say myspace etc, but I think they missed the boat big time.
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Even if he got loads of cash for it in the current climate where would he put it and most of the deals would involve stock exchanges which are worth naff all.

Comment

If I created a web application that a buyer was willing to pay that much for, I'd take the money.

However, I'm heading to my late forties. He's heading to his mid twenties. This makes a difference.

He may have ideas for FB that will move things to the Next Level™ - but then again, maybe they won't. Either way, he's young enough to take the chance and experiment.

Of course, he may have no ideas and just be hoping that one will turn up. Even so, I daresay his bank account is healthier than mine, or yours.

I'm looking at creating an online goat-trading facility. It strikes me as a much-ignored market. I reckon a tie-in with goat food vendors could help to monetise it - that means most eBay sellers, given that goats will eat just about anything

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                    There are certain 'de-facto' internet and IT products...

Google
                    Microsoft
                    Cisco
                    Intel
                    etc..
                    But once FRiendsReunited was among them! Where are they now?

Times change.....

Comment

Working...
                    X