• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 phase washing machine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 phase washing machine

Just replaced the washing machine which came with the house. It was running on 2-phase! ( We have three phase supply, so it had two live connections, a neutral and an earth ).

How does that work then? I understand a three-phase motor from three-phase power, but two-phase motor from three-phase power?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Just replaced the washing machine which came with the house. It was running on 2-phase! ( We have three phase supply, so it had two live connections, a neutral and an earth ).

How does that work then? I understand a three-phase motor from three-phase power, but two-phase motor from three-phase power?
    It's all in the combination of the poles...
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

but two-phase motor from three-phase power?
      A transformer will be needed...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Previously, I had a washing machine that had two wires connected to live, one connected to neutral and one to earth.

Now, I've a washing machine with the traditional one-phase approach. I've connect the live to one of the live wires in the junction box, one to neutral, one to earth. And all is ok.

I'm just confused about my old washing machine. With three phase, the three "live" wires are equally out of phase. I can't get my head round how drawing power from two live wires helps. The waveform would not be regular.

Though I've read somewhere that there's a technology that uses one of the lives to drive the motor, and the other to be the brake.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Leave it alone and call an electrician

>Shakes head & strolls off muttering<
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Previously, I had a washing machine that had two wires connected to live, one connected to neutral and one to earth.

Now, I've a washing machine with the traditional one-phase approach. I've connect the live to one of the live wires in the junction box, one to neutral, one to earth. And all is ok.

I'm just confused about my old washing machine. With three phase, the three "live" wires are equally out of phase. I can't get my head round how drawing power from two live wires helps. The waveform would not be regular.

Though I've read somewhere that there's a technology that uses one of the lives to drive the motor, and the other to be the brake.
            Is it not the case you only get one phase of power delivered to domestic properties?

Your old machine never had three phase, or two phase, just different terminals for the supply.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You lost me after the phrase; "washing machine"........sorry
              Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                Leave it alone and call an electrician

>Shakes head & strolls off muttering<
                woman

They only white goods a man should go near is the bride.

Comment

You stink, by the way. Hurry up and get your clothes washed.

Comment

Just replaced the washing machine which came with the house. It was running on 2-phase!
                    The previous owner left his wife and had her plugged into the mains?

How unusual.

Comment

Working...
                    X