• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Return to 1979

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return to 1979

In 1979 we had the winter of discontent with dead bodies not being buried. According to the Mail on Sunday we are now revisiting that era.

The Dept for Work and Pensions is delaying payments for burial aid to poor families. It can now take 5 weeks to bury a dead relative. OOPS !!!

There is no comparison. The brief problems of 1978/1979 were caused by a few trade union demands that were, in hindsight, ill-advised.

But the current credit problems are a world-wide phenomenon, not of Britain's making. World leaders are now following my lead in resolving those problems.

Regarding burials, never believe everything you read in the Mail On Sunday.

Comment

... and I suppose there is no comparison between the debt levels that we had then, Denis Healey's visit to the IMF for a bail-out in 1976 and the current crisis. There is a least ONE thing in common.

Comment

Originally posted by gordonbrown View Post
        There is no comparison. The brief problems of 1978/1979 were caused by a few trade union demands that were, in hindsight, ill-advised.

But the current credit problems are a world-wide phenomenon, not of Britain's making. World leaders are now following my lead in resolving those problems.

Sunday/Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by gordonbrown View Post

I'm confused. never believe anything you read in the Mail on Sunday, or just don't believe the articles regarding burials?

Comment

Working...
          X