• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overtime for International Travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overtime for International Travel

My client flew me over the pond last week to work with their US teams, yet the contract doesn't stipulate international travel as part of the services.

I was considering charging 1.5xday rate for each full day/night away.
    Is it acceptable to invoice overtime for time spent on international travel? If so is anyone aware of a standard rate?

Originally posted by Orbit View Post
    My client flew me over the pond last week to work with their US teams, yet the contract doesn't stipulate international travel as part of the services.

I was considering charging 1.5xday rate for each full day/night away.
    Is it acceptable to invoice overtime for time spent on international travel? If so is anyone aware of a standard rate?
    You should probably have agreed your rate beforehand...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Negotiate, a day or two in lieu ( ie. they think it doesn't cost them anything ) is how I have handled it.

Comment

Agreed. As they'll probably be sending me again sometime soon I'll need to raise the issue anyway... Any advice??

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          Negotiate, a day or two in lieu ( ie. they think it doesn't cost them anything ) is how I have handled it.
          Yep - I agreed time off in lieu, so if I travel on a Sunday, I take a friday off the next week and end up with a long weekend off (paid for), which really suits me.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
            Yep - I agreed time off in lieu, so if I travel on a Sunday, I take a friday off the next week and end up with a long weekend off (paid for), which really suits me.
            Yawn. Fart. Yawn.

Comment

Sounds sensible. However, things are really busy atm and I get the feeling they would rather pay extra than have people away from the project.

Anyone charged extra for a similar situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Orbit View Post
                Sounds sensible. However, things are really busy atm and I get the feeling they would rather pay extra than have people away from the project.

Anyone charged extra for a similar situation?
                I charge for all travel time outside of UK at 1x normal rate. I might consider 1.5x for intercontinental travel but it hasn't come up yet.

I agreed this before I agreed to go though as foreign travel is not part of the contract.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You could just bill hours on the plane.

But that could backfire had you flown in the days of Concorde- depart LHR 10.30 arrive JFK 08.20 you'll end up owing the company...

Comment

just because you fly concorde doesnt actually mean it takes -2hrs.. the journey is still around 7 hrs long..

the time difference is -2hrs, not the time taken
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X