• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie saying Hi and asking for help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie saying Hi and asking for help

Hello

I am on yet another 6 month extension of an initial 3 month contract! All in all I have been on the same site for around 2 1/2 years or so. I have been with an umbrella company all this time but have now decided to set up as a ltd company on the assumption that it will benefit me.

Where do I stand on ir35 as clearly I am over the 2 year rule? Will it still apply to me as a ltd company with me being sole director? I appreciate this may be all over the place but just slowly trying to piece it all together..any help would be appreciated thanks!!

This has been done to death lately - do yourself a favour and use the handy search facility at the top of the page.

Seeing as you're new I'll let you off and point you in the right direction:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ravel+expenses
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Elbuort View Post
      Hello

I am on yet another 6 month extension of an initial 3 month contract! All in all I have been on the same site for around 2 1/2 years or so. I have been with an umbrella company all this time but have now decided to set up as a ltd company on the assumption that it will benefit me.

Where do I stand on ir35 as clearly I am over the 2 year rule? Will it still apply to me as a ltd company with me being sole director? I appreciate this may be all over the place but just slowly trying to piece it all together..any help would be appreciated thanks!!
      The 2 year rule relates to claiming travel expenses when travelling to a client site. It has nothing to do with IR35.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        This has been done to death lately - do yourself a favour and use the handy search facility at the top of the page.

Seeing as you're new I'll let you off and point you in the right direction:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ravel+expenses

As I am new...i'll state my question with clarification. Having been deemed as IR35 compliant previously under an umbrella company can I now start up as a limited company working for the same client and say that I am not IR35 compliant ???

Comment

Where do I stand on ir35 as clearly I am over the 2 year rule?
          The 2 year rule is to do with expenses. IR35 is a separate issue. As you've been there so long I am thinking you are *probably* caught by IR35 in that you have *probably* been assimilated into the company and are seen as "part and parcel" of the team you work in. If this is the case then you will have to pay yourself PAYE with a limited company.

QB.
          Last edited by QwertyBerty; 13 October 2008, 15:01. Reason: typo

Comment

As I am new...i'll state my question with clarification. Having been deemed as IR35 compliant previously under an umbrella company can I now start up as a limited company working for the same client and say that I am not IR35 compliant ???
            Not unless you change roles significantly. Even then I wouldn't risk it.

Oh, and what QB said.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Trust me, getting shirty won't help...
              The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Personally I dont worry about IR35 until investigation - and have joined the PCG for the insurance.

Despite Dragonfly I still think that IR35 is a dead duck.

I have heard it said before that an IR35 investigation covers the company and not the person - so I know several who use a limited for 3 years - then close it down and start a new one.

Of course I have a cavalier approach to risk - I have just done 2.5 years via IOM......

Comment

Working...
                X