• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gordon Brown Saves The World

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon Brown Saves The World

who would have thought eh? Europe and the US taking their lead from GB*

AND you guys are so lucky - we've got an election coming up and what do our crappy politicians give us? A measly tax cut. Your PM buys you a couple of big banks. Its not fair!

* had anyone else noticed GB stands for Gordon Brown and Great Britain???

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

President George W. Bush and his Treasury Secretary, Hank Paulson, were on Monday understood to be putting the finishing touches to a wide-ranging plan aimed at rebuilding confidence in US banks. The strategy, which is expected to be announced as early as Tuesday, is in part very similar to that enacted by the British government

"The Raised Magician", is how the French press greeted Gordon Brown when he arrived in Paris. They talked about a man who is back from the dead and gone from being a centrist to inventing a new system of regulated capitalism. He is a "major player" in the search for global solutions to the current crisis, according to Le Journal du Dimanche. Clearly, the line that the Prime Minister is the man best suited to lead other world leaders through these unprecedented economic times had crossed the Channel.

"Gordon Does Good,” read a headline in yesterday's New York Times. “Has Gordon Brown saved the world financial system?” asked the author, Paul Krugman - hours before he was awarded the Nobel Prize for economics.

Thank God for Gordon Brown. Like an Old Testament prophet, the Prime Minister might have been reviled and lampooned in his own country these past few months, but he is the toast of the world now. The buzz from the weekend meetings of the IMF and G7 finance ministers here in Washington was that it was the British Wot Won It. The plan announced last week to recapitalise leading banks and guarantee the liabilities of most of the banking system was deemed so impressive that it was almost immediately emulated, not only by the Europeans, but by the Americans, too.

Clearly the greatest PM since Churchill!

Comment

Do you think he will restore the pension of mine that he has shredded first of all via his stealth tax of 1997 and over the past year by unnecessarily nationalising Northern Rock and offering me zero pence ?
            Apparently most people in the private sector will have to work another 5 years to restore their pensions to what they were a month ago.

An annuity that would have given 15K now gives 13K. That's impressive in one month.

He's doing a super job now. It's the past 11 years that's the main problem.

..... if only we still had all that gold that he sold for a pittance.

Comment

I'd rather have him muck about for 11 years when times are good and get it right when the economy is teetering on the edge of collapse than the other way round...
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I'd rather have him muck about for 11 years when times are good and get it right when the economy is teetering on the edge of collapse than the other way round...

Some people are so easily pleased.

Comment

It seems to me he set up the regulatory system that left the UK banks in perhaps the second weakest position in the Western world after Iceland.

Without Gordon Brown they wouldn't have needed the huge cash inflows that the taxpayer has had to provide.

The market has had one good day, but it ain't over ....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Yeah you have to be a *little* bit happy that despite an appalling record for the last 11 years (but you gotta admit Alan Greenspan was convincing) at least he got it right when it mattered.

I came to work Monday wondering if the world was going to end this week, but it actually looks like GB might have saved the day. WHO would have thought?

I don't expect you all to start sticking St George flags to your cars and having a jolly good chorus of 'Rule Brittania' round the old joanna (this aint 'Stenders), but you've got to be a little bit proud that the UK led the way, with ol Gordo at the helm.

Your proudest moment since the Battle of Britain

;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X