• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bank Stealth Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bank Stealth Tax

It seems that even the BBC agree.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7668020.

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    It seems that even the BBC agree.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7668020.
    BBC News BBC Sport
    404 - Page Not Found

This might be because you typed the web address incorrectly. Please check the address and spelling ensuring that it does not contain capital letters or spaces.

It is possible that the page you were looking for may have been moved, updated or deleted.

Please click the back button to try another link.

Or

* Visit the BBC News Home Page.
    * Visit the BBC Sport Home Page.
    * Explore our full list of sites and services.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7668020.stm

Comment

still doesnt work its the laugh adds / emotion thing on to the URL, god I'm good lol

Comment

Comment

Haha Cyberman you made me LOL

so anyhoo, I bet all those Liemans and Fanny and Freddy shareholders are glad that the US govt didn't buy their bank and nationalise it. Oops, hang on...

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
              Haha Cyberman you made me LOL

so anyhoo, I bet all those Liemans and Fanny and Freddy shareholders are glad that the US govt didn't buy their bank and nationalise it. Oops, hang on...

That's a different scenario though. They simply had so much debt that there was no way they could continue as a private enterprise.

Comment

That's a different scenario though. They simply had so much debt that there was no way they could continue as a private enterprise.
                technically yes. But given the danger that if GB hadn't 'nationalised' the banks they might have disappeared altogether leaving their share price at 0p, you would surely have to concur that any action is better than that.

Human nature being what it is once this whole thing is forgotten there will be a big round of privatisation of the banks and massive relaxation of lending criteria and off we will go again.

Seen it alllllll before. Banks have notoriously short memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                  technically yes. But given the danger that if GB hadn't 'nationalised' the banks they might have disappeared altogether leaving their share price at 0p, you would surely have to concur that any action is better than that.

Human nature being what it is once this whole thing is forgotten there will be a big round of privatisation of the banks and massive relaxation of lending criteria and off we will go again.

Seen it alllllll before. Banks have notoriously short memories.

No, I don't concur, because having a banking background and being an AIB graduate, I have always understood the function of the BofE as Lender of the Last Resort. It has always been accepted that banks are the lifeblood of the economy and that you cannot just let them fail, or the whole economy will fail.
                  Gordon Brown and Mervyn King obviously did not understand this a year ago. It has taken them that long to come round to see commonsense. There is a certain bank that I will not mention , because it bores people here, that should never have suffered nationalisation, because it had only a liquidity problem outside of its own control. It was the duty of the BofE to provide liquidity but it failed to do so. The court case is getting nearer by the day.

When I invested in said bank, it was with the knowledge of the BofE's obligations, so I really do not think they have done any more favours than was their duty. Unfortunately, they failed in that duty in the case of you know who.

Comment

No, I don't concur, because having a banking background and being an AIB graduate, I have always understood the function of the BofE as Lender of the Last Resort. It has always been accepted that banks are the lifeblood of the economy and that you cannot just let them fail, or the whole economy will fail.
                    Gordon Brown and Mervyn King obviously did not understand this a year ago. It has taken them that long to come round to see commonsense. There is a certain bank that I will not mention , because it bores people here, that should never have suffered nationalisation, because it had only a liquidity problem outside of its own control. It was the duty of the BofE to provide liquidity but it failed to do so. The court case is getting nearer by the day.

When I invested in said bank, it was with the knowledge of the BofE's obligations, so I really do not think they have done any more favours than was their duty. Unfortunately, they failed in that duty in the case of you know who.
                    Concur! dammit

Comment

Working...
                    X