• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another British Gas rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another British Gas rant

Why oh why can British Gas (and they're far from being the only culprits) not get their head around the fact that some people actually work in this godforsaken country, and are therefore out of the house during normal working hours from Monday to Friday?

I love the way they phone up to arrange an annual boiler service, wanting to confirm that "Thursday between 1pm and 5pm would be OK for you?". I mean, I know there's a record number of work-dodgers in the country, but the concept of people not being able to answer the door from 8am to 6pm can't be that alien to them?

But do not fear, because for an additional £3/month, I can have the "Flexible Time" contract that allows 5pm-8pm evening visits along with weekends. Lucky me.

Write back and tell them you have found an alternative who is cheaper and works at your convenience. That is if you can find one.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
      Why oh why can British Gas (and they're far from being the only culprits) not get their head around the fact that some people actually work in this godforsaken country, and are therefore out of the house during normal working hours from Monday to Friday?

I love the way they phone up to arrange an annual boiler service, wanting to confirm that "Thursday between 1pm and 5pm would be OK for you?". I mean, I know there's a record number of work-dodgers in the country, but the concept of people not being able to answer the door from 8am to 6pm can't be that alien to them?

But do not fear, because for an additional £3/month, I can have the "Flexible Time" contract that allows 5pm-8pm evening visits along with weekends. Lucky me.

If you "worked" for British Gas you would probably want a bit of free time in your evening.

As the gf is home all day I have no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Yes she was when I, erm, visited earlier today.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          If you "worked" for British Gas you would probably want a bit of free time in your evening.

But isn't this a service industry? (at least the home visiting parts). Surely in the same way we don't expect restaurants, hotels and pubs to only open between 9pm-5pm we shouldn't expect British Gas to shut shop at 5pm or 6pm?
          B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Were you there to "service the boiler"?

Comment

I hope you waited patiently in line?

And I hope she charged you double......

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                But isn't this a service industry? (at least the home visiting parts). Surely in the same way we don't expect restaurants, hotels and pubs to only open between 9pm-5pm we shouldn't expect British Gas to shut shop at 5pm or 6pm?
                I think sasguru sees it as a service!

There are alot of guys who are handy - can do electrics etcetc - but very few touch gas. Its just too risky.

Seems to be money for old rope. Maybe I should retrain as a gasman?

Comment

I wondered who was there before me...
                  "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post

100% agree - lost count of the number of times I've those stupid "we need to change your meter" cards, too.I even had one on a brand new house I'd just moved into once. I ignore them now, having made the mistake of telephoning once.

BG, Local Authorities and a range of others have no idea at all that anyone might leave their house and go to work or to get supplies occasionally.

Comment

Working...
                    X