• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stock Market Losses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Market Losses

Anyone know if these are tax deductible in the UK?
    Bored.

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Anyone know if these are tax deductible in the UK?
    If you've realized a loss by selling shares then I imagine you can offset the loss against other capital gains.

QB.

Comment

Yes, against capital gains, you can offset a realized loss for up to 7 years after the event. For example, sell a property on which you've made profit, and then offset your stock market losses.

I believe it should be possible to close your company down, take the bulk as a capital distribution, and offset any stock market losses against this. Not 100% sure on this as I haven't done it myself, but it sounds plausible.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
        Bored.

Comment

Wouldn't that only apply if the shares were bought as company assets though?

I was under the impression (possibly naively since I'm rather risk averse when it comes to tax planning) that you could only offset losses that were directly business related.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

I was under the impression (possibly naively since I'm rather risk averse when it comes to tax planning) that you could only offset losses that were directly business related.
            Who mentioned a Company or a business?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

If you close your Ltd, you can choose to personally take a capital distribution, which is treated as a capital gain (CG), and hence chargeable to CG tax. You use your annual personal CG allowance to reduce the taxation on this.

So, since the distribution is a personal capital gain, you should be able to write off any capital losses against it.

I'm not an accountant, but I believe this is the way it works.

Comment

Working...
              X