• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

fine wines investments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fine wines investments

does anyone here invest in fine wines? that's invest not ingest.

No.

A mate of mine's Dad was a wine buff. He'd put away a fine Château Margaux when my mate was born, to be savoured on my mate's 18th. It had corked! Here endeth the lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
      No.

A mate of mine's Dad was a wine buff. He'd put away a fine Château Margaux when my mate was born, to be savoured on my mate's 18th. It had corked! Here endeth the lesson.
      Technically, that's not an investment though.. If he bought it to keep and sell on at a later date then some other poor mug gets to find out it's corked.
      Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Bunch of cork suckers.

Comment

Wine investments are very dodgy. It is estimated that 10% of wines are 'corked'. If you invest, make sure that they are the screw cap or plastic corks:

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/author/corked.shtml

Comment

Nope. I pay monthly for someone to buy wines on my behalf and cellar them - but for drinking rather than investment. When I get my portfolio statement through it does have what they would buy it back for though which makes for interesting reading!
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              Wine investments are very dodgy. It is estimated that 10% of wines are 'corked'. If you invest ...
              Irrelevant - wine investors just buy and sell fine wine. Who knows if the wine even exists? The investor never sees it, never drinks it, and doesn't give a toss whether it's corked.

If by "invest" you mean buy some old rubbish which is pitched as an investment and keep it for years, then you're the mug who buys the stuff that the real investors have already traded (see above). For "invest" read "buy at inflated prices"

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Irrelevant - wine investors just buy and sell fine wine. Who knows if the wine even exists? The investor never sees it, never drinks it, and doesn't give a toss whether it's corked.

If by "invest" you mean buy some old rubbish which is pitched as an investment and keep it for years, then you're the mug who buys the stuff that the real investors have already traded (see above). For "invest" read "buy at inflated prices"

Eventually though somebody gets caught out..... ie: the person that opens the bottle. This is on a par with those American securities marked 'AAA' that were tulip....they passed the parcel until the fan came into the equation. Nobody wins in the long-run as it's just like pyramid selling.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  Nope. I pay monthly for someone to buy wines on my behalf and cellar them - but for drinking rather than investment. When I get my portfolio statement through it does have what they would buy it back for though which makes for interesting reading!
                  Who do you buy from? This sounds interesting
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Remember: A good wine adheres to the adage "From grape to table as quick as we're able". Also, a bit of detergent, methanol and a few additives swilling around in the bottle is of no real consequence to the true connoisseur. When a wine is supposed to be red, then red it should be, with perhaps just a hint of crunch from the sugar.

Comment

Working...
                    X