• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

England supremo says no to Pot smoking WAGs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England supremo says no to Pot smoking WAGs

In an extraordinarily candid assessment of past failures and disappointments, Rio Ferdinand said yesterday that Fabio Capello had ended the "circus" that had blighted England's recent attempts to win a major trophy and launched an impassioned attack on the culture of WAGs (wives and girlfriends) that detracted from the last World Cup campaign.

The central defender, who, in the continued absence of the injured John Terry, will captain his country again this evening here in Belarus, praised Capello's "business-like approach" and admitted that this had been missing in the past when England had lacked professionalism to such an extent that the football became secondary.

Responding to a question about the failings of the team in past campaigns, Ferdinand said: "I think we got caught up in the whole... we became a bit of a celebrity in terms of the whole WAG situation. There was a big show around the whole England squad. It was like a theatre unfolding and football became a secondary element."

It was perhaps apt then that he was speaking in the Palace of the Republic here, Minsk's main concert hall, when he added: "People were worrying more about what people were wearing than the games. This regime is very watertight. If I'm honest, it feels as if we're going in the right direction.

"You can see we're at the start of something," he said, "and, hopefully, there'll be bigger rewards than what we've had in the past. That's said in hindsight."

Ferdinand recalled the regime and atmosphere in Germany in 2006. "We were in the bubble ourselves," the 29-year-old admitted. "In Baden-Baden [England's training base], walking around, there were paparazzi everywhere, our families were there. Looking back, it was like a circus.

"As a squad, we were a bit too open, going out in and around Baden-Baden, probably had too much contact with families. That's just my opinion. You're in a tournament and you don't get many tournaments in your career. You have to be focused. Not just the WAGs, but families being really close, us being close to you guys [the media], the paparazzi situation... it wasn't really separated from the football."

Rio states the obvious.

Comment

I take it he doesn't have a wag wagging his 'tail' then?

Let's see if the circus is any different now they're playing an Italian theme tune. If not, throw them all to the three lions.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Which ones are pot smokers?

Comment

Working...
        X