• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next year time for 6 months off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next year time for 6 months off?

For those contractors who have put aside some dosh for a rainy day:

Will the next year be the best time to take 6 months off, obviously after current contract ends? I know it is somehow irrational, but:

1. The work will be scarce and the rates generally lower
    2. Taxes WILL increase
    3. During hard times it is the upper middle class the ones that get shafted...

Please discuss...
    The rest is silence...

I've got the cash saved for a rainy day, but I don't want to spend it unless I absolutely have to. I'd rather take a bad rate and keep working.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      I've got the cash saved for a rainy day, but I don't want to spend it unless I absolutely have to. I'd rather take a bad rate and keep working.
      Agreed. I'm here until April, and I will be hoping for another 6 months after that. I have savings for a couple of easy years, or 3 lean ones, but I'd rather take a borderline contract to avoid eating into those savings.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor View Post

Will the next year be the best time to take 6 months off, obviously after current contract ends? I know it is somehow irrational, but:

2. Taxes WILL increase

Please discuss...
        How are times in Romania? Apparently it's the preferred location for italian companies outsourcing ...
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

2. Taxes WILL increase

Please discuss...
          What do YOU think?

Comment

Hi Francko

Outsourcing is still a lucrative business in Romania, although things have changed and present salaries in IT are somehow comparable to western EU economies. Romanians learn Italian within weeks and this could explain the outsoucing "afinity".

No signs of a "financial crisis" whatsoever and property prices are still stable (and high). It's too early to say but I reckon some countries in Eastern Europe will come out of this crisis better than the West with some exceptions...We'll see...

Originally posted by Francko View Post
            How are times in Romania? Apparently it's the preferred location for italian companies outsourcing ...
            The rest is silence...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              What do YOU think?
              I think that if you can afford it, have little debt and can live abroad in a cheap place, then 6 months off makes sense during a downturn. I can do some maths if you want...
              The rest is silence...

Comment

Dude, you could probably squeeze into Oz or NZ with some handy IT skills at the moment despite the immigration laws.

Just the other day some MP or other was bangin on about trying to lure skilled peeps to NZ.

Yeah you aint gonna save much with the exchange rate being what it is, but things are certainly not doom and gloom down here.

Comment

I think that if you can afford it, have little debt and can live abroad in a cheap place, then 6 months off makes sense during a downturn. I can do some maths if you want...
                  Who needs maths, I could live in Koh Samui (thailand) for less than 2000 squids a year and still have a good time

Comment

Hi Francko

Outsourcing is still a lucrative business in Romania, although things have changed and present salaries in IT are somehow comparable to western EU economies. Romanians learn Italian within weeks and this could explain the outsoucing "afinity".

No signs of a "financial crisis" whatsoever and property prices are still stable (and high). It's too early to say but I reckon some countries in Eastern Europe will come out of this crisis better than the West with some exceptions...We'll see...
                    Yeah well surely they will come out even better since cost-cutting is the major imperative these days, outsourcing jobs will be more and more.

I don't think you could find a better time for a sabbatical year (or 6 months) than now. Surely if there are jobs, rates will be lower and competion will be very stiff. Besides it will probably be boring and tiring jobs like supervising outsourced projects. I wish I can take the same sabbatical period soon (of course, all generously paid by the CH government ).
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X