• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Safe deposit box as expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe deposit box as expense

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has expense the cost of renting a safe deposit box? It should be valid to say that I use it to store my hard disk and DVD backups and documents right?

Cheers

If it is a genuine business expense incurred for the use of the business then it is OK

Comment

Well, can argue that it is needed to store backup of work and personal software projects for gaining skills in order to land better contracts?

just wondering if anyone has done it?

Comment

I think you'd get away with it just.

They'd probably want to know why you weren't using a online backup service or fireproof safe at home.

Comment

I would. Records need to be kept for tax purposes. Where else can you put them that are safe?

I looked into it a couple of years ago, unfortunately the large HSBC in the City that used to have one has now closed and I haven't found anywhere else in a suitable location.

Comment

I can rent a "room" in a self store for a few quid a week.

So I'm wondering how much a safety deposit box can possibly cost that makes it worthwhile argueing about?

tim

Comment

Comment

Its not a legitimate personal expense for your HD back up's etc. Pay for it yourself you tight git!

It may be a legitimate expense for your ltd co IF your co has wholly and exclusively business related items that need to be kept in a safe deposit box. If any of the data is personal however, it wont be allowable.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Companies like Iron Mountain will store data media for you, I've used them for all sorts of variations of data storage on past contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                    I can rent a "room" in a self store for a few quid a week.

So I'm wondering how much a safety deposit box can possibly cost that makes it worthwhile argueing about?

tim
                    "Self store" "rooms" are very easy for the overnight security guard and his mates from the pub to plunder.

Safe deposit boxes - not so much.

Weigh it up: need to break off a padlock or two after paint-spraying the CCTV camera, or need to dig a tunnel from a nearby sewer, break through reinforced concrete with a pneumatic drill, and then use a plasma torch cutter to get at the box.

Both are achievable, but one presents a much higher barrier to entry

Comment

Working...
                    X