• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many hours sleep do you need to function effectively?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many hours sleep do you need to function effectively?

New Scientist article.

When I was a short course of cortisone, I found I was sleeping 5 hours a day, was full of energy, and able to work very effectively.

However, off drugs, I need about 7 hours.
    <5
    6.38%
    5-6
    12.77%
    6-7
    25.53%
    7-7.5
    10.64%
    7.5-8
    17.02%
    8-9
    17.02%
    >9
    10.64%
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

I've been doing 6 hours for the past few weeks and feel ok.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I function for about 3-4 weeks on 6-7 hours, then I'll need a "catch-up" at the weekend.

This can last anywhere from 12-16 hours. It's lovely when I get that.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I can cope on 6, but I'm pretty crap towards the end of the day. Ideal is about 8.5 hours.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Ideal is about 14. Currently getting about 4. Still, just had a little nap so a bit better now.

Comment

Seem to get by during the week on about 7-7.5 could easily sleep for 10 though.
            Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I'm just being realistic - I'm a lazy bastard.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

If I'm left to sleep naturally i wake up around 4pm/5pm and go to sleep at 9am; this very rarely happens!

I guess I need about 7-8 hours but I'll happily accept more if offered!
                B00med!

Comment

kids make you realise your previous estimate was wrong

Comment

5 hours is fine

this isn't a show of 'i dont need sleep' bravado on my part but due to two major medical problems (nerve damage in leg, then reconstruction of shoulder) i have found myself waking up every 10 minutes whenever i roll over, and sleeping has been very awkward.

so i've got used to only going to bed when i'm so tired i can't keep my eyes open, the slightest thing wakes me up, and sleep is uncomfortable and a bit rubbish.

as a result i can cope on a lot less. i'd like more though!

Comment

Working...
                    X